Do you have a refugium?

Discussion in '3reef Site Polls' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 3, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Do you have a refugium?

1. Yes

62.8%
  2. No

37.2%
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I always wanted one, but my stand is full.
    Do you have a refugium?
    Have you noticed any difference in water quality?
    What works for you?
    :vulcan:

2. Click Here!

3. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

I have them on both of my larger tanks I would have to say I don’t use them for water quality. It is all about a place that bugs can grow undisturbed for my friends that rely on them as part of their diet

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

When dem ears grow so big? Oh yah, you had your lobes enlarged after you saw The Lord of the Rings :D

I've got a fuge, 10g on a RDP (reverse dark period). I had a power outage last week and forget to reset the timer, so no fuge lights for a few days. BOOM, algea started to grow in my frag tank. Corrected it a few days ago, and..... BOOM, algea is growing only in the fuge again.

It's a 10g acrylic flat back hex w/ 2x 36w 10K pc. I'd love to run lower kelvin bulbs, but I had these sitting around, so why buy more bulbs? The tank is feed by a rio 200, so not a ton of water movement, perfect for my resident fuge angler :D He's a model citizen, only eating what I give to him, aka not a pod eater :D I grow mainly a red algea and some I brought home from my new job (I work for a algea farm now :D.... Reef Nutrition/Reed Mariculture...maker of Phyto-Feast Live) which is a type of gracilaria (robusta we think).

5. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

I have one that comes on at night (reverse dark period). I aso use it for my frags.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Mine 10g and I run it 24/7 I tirm the calerpia 2x a week about 3-4". I have got two of the screw-in PC flood lamps. I have chaeto but it doesn't grow much.

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

and I am thinking about setting a Mangrove planter which would technically be a fuge too.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i dont but i want one lol...

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have a 20G fuge/sump full of chaeto! Since I switched to a yellow bulb, grows like crazy mad! I set the tank up with the fuge from day one so I cannot say I noice a difference but after nearly a year, I still have zero nitrates. I do have some red bristly algae in my display, but it is not out of control. ;)

11. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

I have a 20 Gallon set up I havent put anything in it yet will be getting some mangroves and some calurpa algea.....

12. bergzy

bergzy Plankton

here is my 40g remote refugium that feeds into my sump.

the light i use:
    [​IMG]

initial seeding with chaetomorpha:
    [​IMG]

explosive chaeto growth:
    [​IMG]

actually,

now that my reef has stabilized...chaeto growth has become zero and i now have zero nitrates, phosphates etc. :)