Do you clean your sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by SaltyClown, Feb 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

My 75 gallon tank is almost a month old. It's a FOWLR for now, but will become a reef. How do you all feel about cleaning sand? Years ago I had a 10galreef, it was amazing looking! up for 4 years. I never cleaned the sand, it was full of life.

Before my 75 becomes a reef, I would like to know if I should let the sand go live, or clean it.

I do have a skimmer and a fuge. I do plan on getting a yellow watchman goby. And my sand is maybe over an inch thick.

If you clean your sand, how oftan do you clean it?

2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I only clean the sand where it touches the glass on the front panel...I just like it nice and white.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

If you 'clean' it, it's still gonna be live sand.

I wouldn't bother. If you needed to, you could siphon tube it for WC's, I sometimes do, not every time though.

And, kudos on your 1" SB.

Mines a 1" CC bed.

5. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

Thank you :) I've just been reading on how some people say sand beds that aren't cleaned are the ones to give you truble down the road with algae.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

There are a whole lot of variables that people tend to overlook that make the difference. On opposite ends of the spectrum, a shallow sand bed should be vacuumed periodically to keep it clean, while a deep sand bed should not be disturbed.

7. peddy10181

peddy10181 Astrea Snail

i like to mix my sand up when i clean the tank. is it needed i dont think so. but it does help get more junk out of my system.

8. Click Here!

9. jerry26

jerry26 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I also stir up just the surface of mine when doing water changes.

10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I dont vacuum my sand. I prefer not to disturb it unless I need to siphon off some cyano or something.

11. Stevefromtpsfld

Stevefromtpsfld Bristle Worm

My sand bed is anywhere from 2.5-3 inches deep all round. Is that considered a "deep sandbed"? I have a 29 gallon 30" w 12" D.

And I haven't done a water change yet, only 4 weeks into my tank, but I don't plan on siphoning through the sand when I do. I'm letting it go oh-natural.

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Not technically as I believe 4" or greater is where most consider a DSB to start (others will say 6").