Do U ever ? $ spent on this hobby?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by KOgle, Dec 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Lately I've found myself questioning the money, time, effort, and most importantly, the heartache I've spent over the years on this hobby. When you boil it down we all spend a fortune to house animals that came from the ocean in little glass boxes. I understand that a hobby is a hobby and most are expensive.
    I'm thinking back to the days I ran a 55 gallon tank with a hang on back filter and no skimmer. That tank was the best running tank I've ever had. It was like the RonCo cooker. Set it and forget it!

Anyhow, with the most recent loss I've suffered I'm really questioning my continued interest in this hobby. Maybe I should trade my 180 for a nano. I don't know... now that I'm done rambling please chime in.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

You only live once, and you can't take money with you to the grave.

The enjoyment and satisfaction outweigh the cost in my opinion.

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Well, of coarse we are going to talk you out of doing anything rash......;) If my wife only knew how much I've actually spent.:-X

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Ah, the joys of being single :beer:

Seriously, it's a great hobby though - stick with it man :) K+ for your recent losses, just think of how dim and empty the house would be without your fish! Just with T5's it looks like a UFO has landed inside mine.

6. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

Spending money on my tank is like, toothpaste, deoderant, soap, shampoo, and food. I need it!! I have no problem putting myself in debt for my tank. Imo a nano won't save you money.. they're just as expensive, and hard up for more maintenance needs. My girlfriend questions my time spent on my tank, and I'm contemplating replacing her for a new model....lol. Messing with my tank, is messing with my emotions. I wanted a dog.. but couldn't have one because I rent, and crazy enough I think vet bills would've been cheaper, and I seriously think tanks are higher maintenance than dogs...lol I spend A LOT of time with my tank. I must admit now that I have a skimmer I spend less time a week on maint.

"The enjoyment and satisfaction outweigh the cost in my opinion." I can't agree more with Zach

7. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

LOL.. quiting this hobby would be rash.. and like quiting the mafia.. we would never forgive you!

8. Click Here!

9. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

Well, it is a lot more fun than putting money in a glass box and burning it, but it isn't much different.

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

This is how I look at it....I spend wayyyy to much money on this hobby! However, it is my entertainment and my enjoyment! I love sitting here watching the fish and working with them. I dont go to nightclubs, I dont do a lot of things that many others do, I dont smoke, etc...this is one of my joys!

I agree it is very disheartening when you have something die.....I have questioned myself many times after I lost something.....do we have the right to take these out of the ocean for our pleasure, did I do everything in my powers to keep that alive, etc. I really questioned myself a while back when I lost a fish that was mislabled and was VERY RARE! However, I realized that I did the best I could to keep it, I had researched till I was blind and then some, and you know what...things just die!

Most...not all of us...that are in this hobby do spend a lot of time and money on our tanks, and we try to provide the best enviroment possible for these fish. It is natural to wonder what if....when something dies but in reality we probably raised its odds of living by having them in our tank! Regardless of that, you have to decide if you really enjoy this enough still to stay in the hobby! I think it is well worth every penny I have spent!

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My nano was the hardest tank I ever had. I think a lot depends on how you stock it. I overstocked the nano. It is easy to do with little water volume.

1 person likes this.
  12. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Very well put guys, all of you. ;)

I was just telling Otty that my tank did come out of the "funk"it was in this past weekend but I did lose the fisrt tang I put in there after the rebuild. I can't for the life of me figure out what the cause of it was. I think that's the worst. Not knowing how to prevent it next time. haven't learned anything.

I did have a lot of people over at my house this weekend so who knows.

I'm seriously thinking about putting a lock on the canopy. Reminds me of the days I used to find pennys in my 55 after parties. :cry: