Do toadstool Leathers have mouths?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by skennelly, Jul 27, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Just wondering if Toadstool leathers have mouths? I was looking at my tank from the top of the water, which I guess I don't do often and I noticed on my toadstool leather that in the center of the canopy it seemed to have what looked like a mouth of some sort. At least I hope its a mouth otherwise is there something wrong with it.

I attached a pick of the coral, but not of the mouth. Also this pick is of when I first got it, its actually twice the size now.

http://www.90reef.com/images/large/clown_n_toadstool2.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Toadstool leathers do not have a central oral opening. Can you post a picture of it in it's current state?

4. skennelly

I'll try to take a pic later today.

5. skennelly

I wasn't able to take a picture. I can't see the questionable area when all of its polyps are extended only when it retracts at different points in the day.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you touch the top of the coral, it will retract its polyps.

7. skennelly

Okay, unfortunately I have still failed to get a picture of what I'm talking about. But now I can definitely see what looks to be some type of hole in the middle of its canopy. It doesn't look to be infected or the flesh doesn't seem to be falling off, it just looks like a hole.

Its hard to take a picture because I have to take it from the top of the tank and I don't know how it will turn out. I will try again.