do my clams look ok??

Discussion in 'Clams' started by antonym518, May 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

I recently moved my clams higher. They are not expanding that much anymore, which is good right? Also can anyone id the blue one, crocea, maxi???

How do they look?

Also the blue guy keeps getting knocked down any ideas?

Pucker up mr kole tang!!! :)

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Crocea Tridacna is on the right! I'd be willing to guess that the other one is a Maxima, though I can't tell without seeing the shell and whether it has scutes or not!
    They both look excellent and in great shape with no gapping evident.
    You could either move it to another place or even place a piece of live rock in position to deter the clam from falling and running the chance of stressing or injuring the clam when it falls. Eventually, it will take hold and its byssal strands will grab the rock and take a strong foothold.

4. antonym518

The maxi is stuck there. it won't move, but the blue has always moved a lot. I have had him for about 4 months. He attaches then lets go. his foot is out now and by tonight or tomorrow he will let go. He seems to be ok for tumbling at least 10 times since I got him. The maxi looks more blue everyday. Another quick question. I recently blew a bulb and replaced the 10k with a 6700k. My lighting is actinice 10k actinic 6700k actinic 18000k. The 6700k is right above the clams I heard they would like the 67k temp bulb.

5. reefersRus

reefersRus Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I heard the only thing 67k bulbs are good for is growing tomatos. That is what I have on my planted freshwater. I could be wrong.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

they look pretty good, you are right in saying that their not expanding as much is a good thing, usually when they expand a lot, it means that they aren't getting enough light. Nice pics

7. antonym518

Anyone know about the 6700k? Its a hagen bulb t5ho 54 watt and it says it for almost anything from freshwater to reef. It would replicate the mid day sun