do i need to cure if.....?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by REEFerMADNESS88, Dec 5, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. REEFerMADNESS88

REEFerMADNESS88 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

hello all I am moving in a few weeks and going to take the opportunity to upgrade my 2.5 pico to a 4g cube:).
    I just picked up about 2 and a half pounds of additional live rock which is currently sitting in 5gal of water with a power head and heater to keep it fresh for the move. should i go through the whole curing process for the rock even if my LFS had it in circulating water (im assuming to cure it)? I purchased it along with 5 gal of their water and just put it in the bucket.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Give it a sniff. You will know whether it's cured or not.lol

Corailline likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If the rock has been submerged for weeks in SW with flow then it's probably cured.

5. REEFerMADNESS88

cool i figured now here is a second question. Would there be any benefit/detriment to maybe adding a few critters I.e. shrimps crabs etc and feeding a pinch of frozen food to keep the biological filter going (maybe even increase it).

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You could add a little food but I wouldn't add any critters for now. Add food then test for ammonia and nitrite. If none is detected after a couple days you could add something.

7. REEFerMADNESS88

would lighting be an issue? obviously im not going to be growing any corals but if i were to add some critters i would need to throw something in there to keep um on a regular cycle