Do I need a canister filter if I have a sump?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by imagine7070, Jun 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

I currently have a Penguin HOB filter and an Aqua C Remora Protein skimmer. I was thinking about upgrading to a sump and putting my heater and skimmer in the sump. I was just wondering if I would need to still keep the HOB filter or even switch to a canister filter if I have the sump? Or would the sump be sufficient enough for my tank's filtering purposes? Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I say drop the Penguin HOB filter and do not use a canister filter regardless if you use a sump or not. The skimmer should be doing a good enough job. Plus if you do not clean out those canister filters often enough they become a big nitrate trap. Your live rock, sand, and skimmer should have have no problem keeping your Nitrates, Nitrites, and Amonia down.

4. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

Really? get rid of the HOB filter as well? it's been doing such a good job for trapping all these particles that I have to replace the filter screen every week! Or else I wouldn't know that my tank was that dirty. :-/ I don't know why my tank is so dirty... perhaps the diamond goby keeps stirring everything up.

5. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

You could keep some mechanical filtration in your sump. Just change/clean it like you would a filter pad in a HOB setup.

6. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

If it is easy to get at and clean then it won't be a negative thing. If you setup a sump all that little debris will get caught in the overflow or broken down in the sump or fuge if you create one. Being that it is a HOB some people find that it provides more micro bubbles in the display tank than it is worth. But if it is catching things and you are good at cleaning it then all the better. (extra water movement :) )

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

In a sump, you regularly use a sock filter, that should be more than enough.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'd take some of the media from the old filters, put them in a filter sock, place in the sump for a couple weeks to aid in the transition. Then yank them. I've done this with good results in the past.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Other than the cannister adding to water movement and a place to place filter medium(ie. carbon and phosphate remover), there is really no great benefit to using a cannister. You have to clean it frequently, because it is a nitrate and phosphate collector which will leak out into your tank.
    Skimmer is all you need for filtration-plus you can purchase a phosphate reactor for $40.00 or so and use it to place carbon or any other type of filter media!

11. Benzilla

Benzilla Plankton

Whats up JT Reef? In my case I have just cycled; I have sand, live rock and a few Damsels, and have been testing.I just installed a Overflow, that feeds a refugium(first chamber has bioballs,baffle,mid-chamber has 4inches of sand and soon MacroAlgae,baffle, and final chamber has my protein skimmer[which returns to the mid-chamber], and the return to the display pump.)
    My question is related to the above one (or so my ignorance tells me so) in that I am curious in regards to the need for further filteration? I do have a nice Metal Halid fixture, hence I have aspirations for a reef tank...but am i good with what I have?

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I use a filter sock. It is a nitrate factory if you don't clean it. Clean it at least twice weekly. Matt has a good point also. Using it to transition the tank and then getting rid of it. Just make sure you have a goooooood protein skimmer if you are going to rely on that alone.