do i have the right cleanup crew?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bigjohnson503, Sep 5, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigjohnson503

bigjohnson503 Plankton

i started up a 12 gallon nanocube about 2 months ago. at the moment i only have:

1 blue damsel
    4 red legged hermits
    7 turbo snails

within the past 2 weeks there was a large bloom of algae all over the tank. hair algae on the rocks, green carpet algae on the live sand, and small amounts of brown and green algae on the glass :-[ . as far as i can see the snails are doing a great job of keeping the glass clean, but the rocks are still covered in algae. should i add more snails or crabs, or perhaps some type of algae eating fish? i'm also wondering if its because of the filtration. all i'm using are some bioballs, black foam, and a water pump. there is absolutely no algae growth in the filter section of the tank. the bioballs are just as clean as the day they went in. i'm sure there should be some type of growth back there, or am i wrong :confused: . thanks for any input. :)

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

phosphates??what are your reading?do you have a skimmer?still might be cycling :-/