Do I have tempered side glass??

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by ontop27, Aug 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

My neighbors must think I'm crazy. I have polarized glasses and three d glasses mixed with my phone, a tablet,and a PC...I keep bobbing my head up down left right. I tried all sides of the tank, non tinted car windows,and two different windows in my house... I don't see a difference when looking through any of the items. Can some one advise me on what to do so I can stop looking like a creep by holding electronics behind panes of glasses while changing glasses...the only time I noticed something different was when I looked through my tinted windows at other peoples windows.it looked like an oil spill...and I called again and they can't help me. Tank is a fifty gallon breeder..thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It is highly unlikely that the sides are tempered. You will see an alternating pattern of dark and light areas in the glass under bright and intense light when using polarized glasses if the glass is tempered.

4. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Drill it and find out..:LolLolLol lol if it shatters its temped if it doesn't its clear sailing ;)

5. reefermadnes

reefermadnes Bristle Worm

Knock on it like your knocking on a door. Tempered is harder than normal glass. When you knock on tempered it will sound solid like a piece of wood. If its just pain glass it will sound hollow like your knocking on the side of a trash can. The bottom might be tempered check to see if there is a sticker on the bottom of the tank for a sticker that says tempered, that will give you an idea of what tempered sounds like. Or just knock on your car door window then one of the windows on your house that will give you an idea what im talking about. The tank cant have water in it though. Sounds weird but its the easiest way to tell.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I placed a laptop inside of my tank, stepped back, tilted my head sideways (with 3D glasses on) and the screen went black. That's how I figured out that my back was tempered; that and most members telling me a 55 gallon is typically made of tapered glass.

Good luck!

7. Brownie

Brownie Flamingo Tongue

+1 fsukum I have been wearing polarized sunglasses for years and the easiest way to tell is by turning your head to your shoulder. If it blacks out then its tempered. Its frustrating when your on the bus doing homework with your sunglasses on or if your using your debit card on a keypad thingy. They black out.

8. Click Here!

9. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I turned my head sideways without glass and my laptop and tablet went black haha. We figured out a way were it reflects it as black lines using 3d glasses. Thanks for the input

10. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

FWIW polarized sunglasses will make flatscreens turn black when rotated 90 degrees w/ or w/out tempered glass between them. They emit coherent light. Your test is testing whether the LCD screen is emitting coherent light.

If you see an interference pattern on the glass in strong light, like mentioned before, it's tempered.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

That's what I was thinking. You can wear polarized glasses, and look an an LCD watch. Then rotate the glasses, (or your head wearing them) 90 degrees and the display disappears!

BTW, has anyone seen a 125 long with tempered side and end glass?
    It has a sticker on the bottom that says 'do not drill, tempered glass', but I have heard that is only the bottom.

Those of you who know tanks, there is a quality sicker with the month and year of build, with a trident beside it.

Who has the logo of a trident? Which brand? I think it is a common brand.

TIA