Do I have enough light?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by asilefx, Apr 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

So I've been trying to figure out if I have enough light for the corals I want in my tank.

Currently I have 260 Watts, 50% Actinic, 50% 10,000k.

My tank is 75 Gallons so that's 3.4 Watts a gallon. But do I also add the amount of water in the sump?

I have to subtract the sand and rock right?
    I'm going to say subtract 21 gallons for rocks and sand.
    That would give me 4.8 watts per gallon.

Is this enough for clams? I know they need high light, but how do you define high light?

Any help would be great. I've been thinking about adding a 110 watt VHO, 50/50 bulb.

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

21 gals for rock and sand? Hmm what are you basing that on...seems kinda high to me. I dont think thats enough light for clams...i had that ammount over my 55 gal and clams would only survive for around 6 months...if you want clams really bad and are willing to buy a chiller go for mh...if not maybe go for a 6bulb t-5ho fixture...i know some people who have the 8 bulb over 100gal tanks and they keep sps alive great i just got a 4 bulb over my 55 gal :) remember 54w t-ho = 96w PC

4. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

21 may be a bit high. I know the sand takes up about 6, I'm just guessing the rest.

I really don't have room for a MH, I'm trying to fit everything in my canopy. I did see one MH that I like, I'm not sure if it'll fit in the canopy.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12112&N=2004 113352
    I'm looking at the 150 watt. If I got that then I would change my 2 10,000ks for actinics.

Or I'm going to get I VHO, but all I can find is the bulbs, I have no Idea what to put them into.

5. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

6. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Urban, can we trust aquatraders? How are the Odyssea brand? I hear alot of people having problems with product from these guys.

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Watts per gallon is a crock. and so is saying you need a chiller with MH lights. I've been running MH for 3 year over my 75G and they are about 6 inches from the surface. I have 1 fan blowing on the sump and I have no heat problems.

The quality of light coming from florescent bulbs does not translate well to Watts per gallon. MH is a single point source of light, while Florescent light the total watts is spread out over the length and width of the tube.

I would only keep clams under MH, But that's just me

J

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

WPG = NOGOOD :)
    It is an old standard used for old bulbs.
    Lighting considerations. Depth of tank, length of tank, type of corals in the tank.
    Answer these questions and then go from there.

Jim

10. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I agree with Jason MacKenzie on this one. I have my MH suspended 10" and my water is cooler than ever and my heater still pops on every other day to help regulate the water.

I know a couple of people using the odyssea brand MH setups with two PCF's, no problems and affordable unit.

Hey asilefx, pm mannyhernz, he is selling his unit because he's upgrading to dual HQI. He's selling it pretty cheap. Not the aquamedic, but the odyssea unit.

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Well...sorry lol...but i had pc over my tank and during the summer i had to get 2 ac units...so im assumine if i had mh i would have problems

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Bruce, What was the ambient temp in the room?

J