Do fish care about you or are they just always hungry ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by OverStocked, Aug 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

I can't say anything now cause two people are in on it with different opinions.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

hahaha ok ok! ill conform to these jokes!

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I think the last 5 posts should just be deleted or ignored.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

don't you mean 6.. you gotta count yourself.;)
    so now it would be 7. ::)

The irony, when will people learn criticizing posts that are off topic only adds more off topic posts. 8)

6. Tengalla

Tengalla Astrea Snail

I will say that growing up with a mother that had a ton of fish.
    That they do Assosiate food with The primary provider.

My mother had and still has a 150 if not more fresh water tank with koi, tiger barbs , ect. I could go on and on and on. Much less a pond. I would try to feed the fish and do the exact same thing my mother did at the same time and I got Very little response compared to every attempt my mother would make to feed. This goes for the pond and tank.

In my experience with the tanks I have cared for have had many feeding components.
    The extra long dropper(baster), various cap's from water bottels, a defroster/ auto feeder I made, and my hands. And almost every time, if they could see these instruments move they were there!
    The thing is if they saw somthing that was not for them they knew " oh ok feed them first, then me!" or they would know it's feeding time as soon any bottel cap shows up anywhere near the tank.

I agree with both opinions!

But I will say I think some of the fish we own know more than we believe.

7. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

WHile they may have a large body to brain ratio, youare right, they may be a bit smarter. but it is alot of Pavlov here. they recognize and associate our physical characteristics with some sort of reward, FOOD. it has been just over a week since I got my bi-color angel. at first, when I went up, he would hide. even at feeding until i backed off. now he is starting to associate me reaching for the top of the tank to a storm of flake food and is much more excited when I approach. good thing he is already chowing down on anything I put in, but for some reason, I doubt he will get to the surface and mix it up with my tangs to compete for the Nori sheet. he just waits for the scraps to fall.

10. blackraven1425

Consider that dogs aren't really all that smart. They can hardly remember what happened a minute ago. That's why lots of people have trouble training them; they come in with the punishment for the behavior too late.

Dogs have much bigger brains than fish, and are still nearly what people consider goldfish to be in terms of memory.

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  12. blackraven1425

1 person likes this.