Do clams need nitrates?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by pgreef, Jan 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

So I've been reading about clams for the last few months. I've read that they actually consume nitrates and ammonia. So if they are placed in a tank with undetectable levels of nitrate will they thrive? I have 6 x 54W T5s with individual reflectors.

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Should be fine. Many people have them with SPS, and with SPS you can't have any of those levels detectable. The vast majority the food for the clams comes from photosynthesis.

4. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Thanks LCP. That's what I figured. Never thought I'd have to ask if undetectable nitrate was a problem.

5. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

lol

they should be fine in a good quality tank. but they can also live in harder times. when i had high NO3 my clam grew, he was the only thing that do but ohh well

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I have 2 clams in my tank with no detectable nitrates at this point. I'm seeing good growth on both.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Clams don't need nitrates but do filter them out of the aquarium. They don't feed off of ammonia. Smaller clams under 3 in. need to be supplementarily feed by providing some sort of filter feeder food. After about 3in. they rely almost totally on light and photosynthesis.