DKH

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Land_Fish, Nov 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Was wondering if anyone knew what we have so many different Harness measurements but use the German degrees Carbonate Hardness (DKH)?
    English and French etc...

Thanks in advance.

PS- When giving Karma can we Get a notification of the person sending the karma. As it is now I have no idea who sent it. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

sorry i cant answer this one i dont know why there are so many different charts

4. eweldon

eweldon Plankton

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

6. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Was wondering if anyone knew what we have so many different Harness measurements but use the German degrees Carbonate Hardness (DKH)?

We see German as they have had the most input to this hobby, i.e, Tunze, Dupla,etc.. for both the Planted Aquaria and Reef Tank.They and the Dutch where at it way before we are.

We should be using a unit that as real chemical meaning , such as meq/l which is what about half of the people in this hobby use.

George, who wrote this, is a little confused on terms

To summarize:
    Carbonate hardness (KH) is NOT the same as alkalinity. It can have the
    same value as "total hardness", but cannot be larger than TH, even if
    the measurement says so!

Alkalinity, in the strict sense, is independent of carbonate hardness,
    but often parallels it. It is a measure of buffering capacity.

Carbonate hardness is not the same as alkalinity, it is part of Alk but what he doesn't know is the test kits we use are NOT measuring carbonate hardness but Alkalinity. Even though the kit says carbonate hardness it is alkalinity that it is measuring, not carbonate hardness

Alkalinity is NOT the same thing as Buffer Capacity, this is a misnomer. Alk is the ability to withstand downward trends in pH , whereas Bc is the ability to withstand both downward and upward trends in pH. Bc also takes into account ions, to a small degree, such as Ca,Mg, etc. and Ion pairing. As far as Bc goes NSW has almost nil Bc, as Bc takes place when half of the principal buffer is an acid and the other half is a base. For NSW this at a pH of 9 or 6. At either of these pH's it is difficult to change the pH by normal means.The Bc and Alk equations are not the same but very closely related, as is actual carbonate hardness is to Alk.

Yes, there are other units.....many

Just a couple;

French = .56 dH
    English= .8 dH
    American= .056 dH
    International =dH / 2.8 =meq/ l

Furthermore, there are different types of each, i.e. German dH as, Ca0, Ca, Ca(HOC3)

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I see, Thanks again Boomer

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

thnx for that info [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]