Diy whole house filter (sulfur) has any one....?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by epsilon, Jan 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

It occurred to me in the midst of replying to another thread that the suggested equipment laid out by a local water treatment company (during a free in home inspection) consists of nothing more than a few components that we use commonly in our hobby. All-be-it on a bit larger scale unless you have a massive beast of a tank like what reefbruh is building. So that got me thinking... instead of paying said company 3k I don't have and would much rather spend on my tank if I did... Why not look into a diy? So basically the system would consist of a chemical feed pump with a reservoir (hydrogen peroxide), an injection point into the water supply, a holding/mixing tank to allow the h2o2 to mix thoroughly, and finally a massive carbon/sediment filter to remove the h2o2 and other contaminates. Our hardness isn't much of a concern, the real problem is the 30ppm sulfur! I would then of course get a spectra pure unit for the tank as az would track me down otherwise :) but I can't consider doing that until I clean out the source water a bit. So with all that said, biggest/Hardest part would be the control unit portion of this build and the mix ratio needed to break the sulfur bonds from the hydrogen. Any one have any thoughts on that? Second,would be finding the best filter media to include in the sediment filter...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Try contacting Russ at Buckeye Field Supply there in Ohio and run it by him. He is an extremely knowledgable person and I'll bet he has some input you could use.

4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

LOL- Az would track me down otherwise! So true, but of course in your best interest.

6. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Lol I know right?