DIY unusual Refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by RoloSaez, Jun 5, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Just bought a pump plan on reinventing my fish closet that is in the master bedroom behind the tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank. The ten gallon fits in the 55 gallon. On the left side of the 55 gallon the water will drain into the filter sock, some carbon and skimmer section. I want to place the ten gallon on stilts if you will inside the 55 gallon tank.

The return pump ( External ) requires a 2" bulkhead all the way on the right side of the tank. No way for me to put the pump in the middle section for a gravity feed. So I plan on splitting the drain with a valve to feed the fuge then the other main drain on full blast. The water will flow under the fuge to the return. The water from the fuge will just trickle over the sides of the ten gallon tank.

Then I want to add an ATO to the system. I have a reservoir barrel chiller and phosban reactor that needs to fit in this equation as well. Plus I want to leave room for a new skimmer hopefully. I have a berlin turbo skimmer now had it for 11 years. The pump is a Reef Flo Dart, I also have an RO system only a 4 stage just RO no DI.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I guess my main question is why use the 10 gallon inside the 55 at all? Why not just install some baffles?

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Normally the fuge is on one side the skimmer is on the other and the return is in the middle. I don't have that option. So if install baffles I don't think the pump will have enough water on the return side. So my thought was to elevate the fuge so that plenty of water runs underneath it for the return.

5. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Here are two pictures one is a rough sketch the other is how it currently looks.

Attached Files:

6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

We have a "raised" fuge on our 210 gal lion tank, and it works nicely. It has a standpipe in it, and the water flows down into the main fuge (a 55 gal, actually). We built ours into the sump, however.

The fuge is on the left side, minus the standpipe (you can see the bulkhead in the floor of the fuge):

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Making progress finally. Got glass cutter and a couple pieces of glass. I got silicone. drill bit for bulkhead and took the bottom glass out to make sure the seals were redone.

Attached Files:

• 55g.JPG
      55g.JPG
      File size:
      190.6 KB
      Views:
  8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

How big is your DT going to be? Also how much evaporation do you have daily?

I am not all experienced but I understand from studying of sump that your evaporation will happen in your return section and it looks a bit small in your sketch, but that depends on how often you top off. I would add an ATO for sure, to ensure you don't run dry and burn up your pump. I modified your sketch a bit to show what I believe would be better, it adds a bubble trap and more room in your return as well.

[​IMG]

10. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Here's my 55 gal tank with a 24" fuge. I have gobs of room for my return pump as well as my skimmer.

[​IMG]

Top view
    [​IMG]

This seems to be working quite well for so far.

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I bought an A.T.O. will install it when I install the new pump. On the drawing I will have to elevate the sump like you have there because as you mentioned I think the return section would definitely will be to small. That will allow water to always be available. The only difference is I might have the glass go all the way to the tank wall on the right above the bulk head. I only need 20" on the left side of the tank. I will Tee off the drain to supply the filter sock and the fuge. Bigdubb I like your set up as well but my pump is external. Love your skimmer too!

12. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

The sketch was a rough estimate. I am glad to hear that you are considering my advice. Makes me feel warm inside. lol

1 person likes this.