DIY top off

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by micko, Nov 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. micko

micko Plankton

I have 4 tanks that I need to come up with some type of top off system. Here is the problem the only place I can put a fresh water vat is in the basement and pump it upstairs any thoughts? Tanks sizes are 550,220,150,85 so I need to come up with something safe so I dont have water everywhere I have ice maker lines in back of the tanks with floats but the floats wont hold the pressure so I had to install Jaco valves and manually turn off the lines coming from my RO unit in the basement what a pain that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

550,220,150,85!? Holy crud, I thought I was going off the deep end with 300, 210, 72, 55 and the 210 is at my office. Does each tank have its own sump? That creates multiple failure points. I've had problems with mechanical floats too. A RO pumping 75 gals a day through a failed float can make a big mess fast.

This Friday I'm rigging a 200 gal sump in the basement to support the 300 and 72. Ultimately, I'm going to have a single FW top off driven by small pump triggered by an electrical float for the system.

Unfortunately, if you have multiple sumps I think you need to do the old bucket of water that you manually top off rigged with a pump and electrical float per sump.

Good luck.

4. micko

micko Plankton

yes I have separate sumps for all problem is no room for buckets

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam