diy stand plans

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by aesp533262, Apr 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I don't know if you've finished the stand already, but this is the schematic of the stand I built. I like it because there's no center brace, and no need for one for a 48" wide tank.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

Nice schematic ReefSparky. Thats almost exactly the same as how I made my stand for my 55 (its 90 gallon sized for when I upgrade). I used 2 x 10 on the end purple sections and as the top because I have a shed full of wood and wanted it stable. I also added a couple extra joists at the top for support and layed the orange footing sideways.

The hardest part was getting a level stand to rest level on an unlevel floor. I had about 1/4 inch drop toward the front of the tank.

4. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

thanks for the schematic. In looking at the photo and the beam on the inside of the frame the connects the top frame to the bottom is screwed into the frame. Are the screws supporting the weight? The beams don't look like they come to the floor.

5. ReefSparky

If you recall the PM I sent you, the lime green pieces are the "screw strips" to which I referred. The pink/purple pillars are screwed into that. This stand is designed so that no screw bears any weight. The screws only keep the parts in place.

6. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

and purple attached to red and orange how?

7. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

I took my old stand made of only 3/4" cabinet grade plywood no 2x4 or anything like that for my 125 G tank Added a larger base out of 2x6's and trimmed it out with nice molding.

[​IMG]

Then made a simple box that slides in place to put decorative stuff on it as the doors. The only thing under my tank is the lighting ballast and plumbing. All the other stuff is in my bedroom closet.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What about on an 84"? ;D

You can check out my 200 thread too, I built my own stand in there. It's really not that complicated at all.

10. ReefSparky

If I recall, 6 feet is the cutoff where a center brace becomes necessary.

11. carpenter

carpenter Feather Duster

The green "screw strips" hold the purple in place. You screw through the purple, red and orange in the the green.

simple and strong design!

12. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

Looks like the one on RC in the DIY Stand thread?