DIY Spray Bar?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by mirosh, Nov 14, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Hey guys,

I'm trying to throw together a quick spray bar for my tank! Any idea if I can use the Oatley's PVC primer and cement in order to "glue" pieces of PVC together? Is this stuff water safe???? Will it pollute the tank??? If it would, what do you recommend using in order to get a cap on the end of the PVC. And do you know if that stuff will work with the flexible PVC (which I think I'm going to get from http://www.savko.com/).

Any tips would be great!

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Click Here!

3. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Hey Mike,
    I use Oatly's Rain-r-Shine for pvc glueing. I also use the purple primer before the solvent. Let it cure fully and you should be good to go. I used this solvent to glue my closed loop which included some spa-flex and regular rigid pvc pipe. You can get flexable pvc at Home depot. Savco is a really great online store. They have it all.
    Scott

4. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Thanks Scott...I will be running out to home depot tonight!

-Mike

5. ScooterGuitar

ScooterGuitar Astrea Snail

Anyone have detailed images or plans for making a spraybar? I think I know how (setting up 125), but wondering if there any cool thoughts lingering around!

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I use a 9-10" piece of pvc with holes drilled in it. Larger diameter holes (1/8") at the end of the pipe and smaller ones (7/64") closer to the beginning of the pipe. They are drilled in an up down pattern with about 30 total holes. Then I put an end cap on it. I put it together without glue to test it first... I still haven't glued it yet :D I'm not sure if I want to keep it this way yet. But right now it allows me to move the spray bar without cutting and gluing. Take a look at my pictures you'll see it in the upper left hand side of my tank. One more thing, You might want to change the color if you go this route. Mine is white and it sticks out like a sore thumb. At least if I get tired of looking at it I can pull it apart and spray paint it black.
    Also you can check your flow rate and see how many gallons per hour you're pumping and drill the holes larger if you need to. I like the way it spreads out the pump output and gives my tank circulation. Good Luck.
    Jim

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I posted a pic of mine here a few months ago but it's not coming up on a search for some reason. Let me keep digging :)

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

here you go amcarrig. its was from one of my posts spray bar

Marc.

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey get out of my brain! LOL, I was just going to post that! Good find!

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Great! Thanks Mark (and thanks to you BL for your effort)! Karma for you both!

12. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

thanks for the karma.... right back at you...

Marc.