DIY Skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by nanoreefer555, Dec 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

If one were to make a DIY skimmer, how would one calculate the requisite size of the device in relation to the size of the system? Also, what would be the easiest style to create that would still work.

I am asking because I plan on having a very large in-wall someday (~500g) and I prefer to make my own equipment whenever possible. Even if I have the money to by off-the-shelf stuff, I just don't find doing it that way to be that enjoyable. Just seeing what everybody thinks about it.

BTW, I know at least one person is going to tell me that it isn't worth the risk and that I should just spring for a good new one and never have probs blah blah blah...I am sure they would be correct but let's just say for arguments sake...

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I'm not sure exactly how you tell how large the skimmer would be but what size are you thinking about I've seen a lot of great plans and DIY skimmers before

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

really i think you would be better off just buying one off the shelf...why make one?? i have one question....do you have a job sir??? where did you get this money?

5. nanoreefer555

Can you take karma away from someone?

6. nanoreefer555

Or maybe I should pee in your LR bin.

7. suckafish

lol like it could really hurt the live rock at this point. but it will be you on youtube pissing in trash can, in the cold *wink wink*....

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

i think you just need to try different sizes, and base your results off how much is being skimmed. just make sure your collection is close to the same size skimmer that would be appropriate for you tank size

10. nanoreefer555

I have seen these things like the size of a scuba tank before but I don't know what they were rated for. I have an approximate guess in my head for what a 250g skimmer looks like. I just don't know how they scale up in relation to the change in tank size.

11. suckafish

i hear you, i dont know, besides it DIY you know its just going to take a couple of mod while you tune it into your tank. but seriously there is something to leaving the desgin up to companies that have spent a lot of money (almost more money then what goes into my tank, you know nano) on R&D. but thats just my thought, is bulding a tank into your wall not DIY enough for you?

12. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

One impressive DIY skimmer I remember seeing was constructed from a 5 gallon water delivery bottle; such as the ones you invert over a water cooler. In this design the skimming neck was already made. It was quite a beast.

In my mind, you can't go too far, too big, or too much on a skimmer. If the skimmer is 5x larger than a store bought model, what's the downside? It's not like a skimmer removes anything that's beneficial. If you went way overkill, you would just have to have more gallons of water in the entire system--and that's a good thing too.

Good luck whatever you choose! :)