DIY Rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by cannon2222, Jul 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

Matt, didn't you say that you have some diy rock? How's it working out for you and would you do it again? [smiley=builder2.gif]

phil

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I love my DIY rock Phil.

It's becoming really colorful with shades of green and I am finally getting purple coraline algae on it after figuring out a good way to dose and keep my alkalinity and calcium up there.

Right now the rock is getting covered in feather dusters and sponges. It's quite an explosion. Way cool.

I had a lot of fun making it. The process is time consuming and it takes a lot of trial and error, but now it's paying off and very rewarding. I think they came out great and are really looking more natural now too. I also feel good about not having to be yank rocks out of Indonesia.

I think by this time next year my little frags will have grown out and the polyps will really spread out. It should be something to see.

If you have time and inclination, I highly recommend it.

:)

matt

4. cannon2222

Thanks Matt, I looked in your gallery at your rock, you can't tell it's diy. this months (Aug) issue of FAMA and it had an article on diy rock. After reading it, it did make me think a little bit about the environment. ;D It also made me think that I could save some $$$ because several hundred lbs. of rock will cost some serious bucks.

Also, if anybody has made some, let us know about it please. ;D

phil

5. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I've made about 50lbs so far. I want to end up with 80lbs. The next few batches I am making will be the more intricate upper levels. Matt is right, you do have to mess around with it to get the knack, but it is a lot cheaper, and you can customize it. 8)

In case you hadn't noticed, the tank I am setting up is completely DIY including the tank (plywood and red oak with glass front, I'll post some pictures when I can get the tank into it's room). I did use a 20gal aquarium for the sump/fuge, however the rest of the set-up I am making myself. It's the only way I can afford it. :-/

(Of course, I didn't make the pumps or heaters)... ;D

The next move, after I get the rest of the plumbing figured out, is the light canopy that I will be making out of Red Oak. I haven't designed it yet but I will leave the space in it for at least 2-65 watt PC bulbs, to be added at a later date. That and an additional ballast for a couple of 110 VHOs should give me enough with the 4-40 watters I am going to use to get the aquarium started.

I've already got some blue rope light that will suffice for the "moonlight" effect. ;)

[smiley=builder2.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=builder2.gif]​

6. cannon2222

If it can get messy, I'm sooo in! ;D Whats life without a little mess every now and then? ;D

phil

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I used sort of a modified GARF recipe for the aragocrete:

5 parts caribsea special grade aragonite(or other)
    1 part Type I-II cement
    1 part plastic drill bit shavings

I used the aragonite sand as the form sand. When I had dug the hole I wanted in the sand. I sprinkled a little coarse Puka Shell around it. This has some whole shells and tube worm casings for texture on the outside. I couldn't find white portland cement, so I used grey. The white might be a little nicer looking. ;)

It is fun!!! I suggest using gloves while working with the mixture, it is irritating on the skin. The rock must be cured for a good long time, 8 weeks minimum IMHO. The alkaline in the cement needs to be leeched out!!

GARF has some pretty good pages on making the rock. [smiley=book2.gif]