DIY rock curing

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Ice, Nov 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

hi all

i'm cureing about a 100 lb of diy rock and it's been i the water for about 5 months now and the PH of the water is about 9.5 right now just wondering when it would be the right time to add the rock to my tank without messing anything up

thanks in advance

Peter

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Hi Peter,

Just as a suggestion, get a bucket and mix up some fresh SW, aerate it for 24 hours and then test the PH.

Place a piece of your rock in the bucket and let it stand for a few days with the aeration still going, then do another test and compare the differences.  

You could probably do this without the aeration but I believe that the PH in saltwater swings as oxygen depletes.  So I was thinking that aerating the water throughout the test would keep the O2 at a constant level and therefore not effect the PH for that reason

John

4. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

thanks JohnO, great idea, i'll try that and see what happens

Peter

5. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

hi JohnO

i put a piece of rock in a bucket with saltwater and an air stone as you suggested, it's been stting there for a good 24 hours and the PH stays at about 8.3 so i'm guessing it's now safe to put the rock in my tank?

Peter

6. FragOutpost

FragOutpost Plankton

When the rock was in the freshwater cure, did a film still develop on the surface between water changes? (Without areation of course)

I would start by adding the rock slowly, a few pieces at a time, just to be on the safe side.

Although after 5 months of curing, it should be ready. How often did you change the water?

7. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

hi fragoutpost

the water on the surface is perpectly clear and i do waterchanges once a week

thanks for the responce

peter

8. Click Here!

9. FragOutpost

FragOutpost Plankton

You should have no problems then.
    The rock has probably leached out all it has to give.

10. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

cool thanks for the help, i'm gonna start adding rock to my tank over the next couple of dayswhile keeping an eye on the PH in the tank

peter

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Peter,

Sounds good to me :) As suggested, just add it slowly andkeep an eye on the PH :)

John

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good suggestions. I added all mine at once and the pH went through the roof! Luckily there was nothing else in there. I ended up dumping a lot of macro algae in there and that brought it down within a couple weeks.

Good luck!