DIY Refugium/Sump help.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SKAustin, Jan 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SKAustin

SKAustin Astrea Snail

Ok, Ive completed the basic setup of my refugium/sump. This will be for a 55 Gallon reef, and was made from a 20 gallon tank. Are there any modifications I should make? I was thinking of adding some egg crate above the baffles on either side of the refugium area to deter any critters I keep in the refuge from escaping. I was also questioning if a short baffle should be added near the top after the bubble trap to force the current downward into the refuge, or would that be too much current through the refuge?

Also, a correction on the dimensions in the plans (second image). The inlet area is actually 5 1/2" (made to accomodate the Coralife 125 super skimmer) and the bubble trap is an additional 1 7/8".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

I just got done making a sump out of acrylic and I did mine pretty much the same as yours. What I did was put the inlet area for my protein skimmer -- drilled a bunch of 3/16" holes from 4 - 6 inches up that leads into the refugium area. I drilled another bunch of holes at the 10-12" mark for the next divider. 2" away I added another baffle but raised it up 2" off the bottom for the bubble trap. It was nice making it out of acrylic -- bought the pieces cut to size and made it as big as possible to fit under my cabinet. Was able to put the protein skimmer and heater in. The plans I used for mine was the model K sump from Melevsreef -- Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums
    I made an overflow box from his direction but I get a few bubbles that build up in it and have to suck them out every so often. Not sure how to completely fix that yet.

1 person likes this.