DIY Refugium/Sump Build

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Alohastate335i, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

I'm thinking about building a custom sump/refugium for my 90 gallon this weekend and this is what I came up with so far. Please let me know if you guys have any tips on what I can do to make this a better design or if you see anything wrong as far as setting up the baffles.

The materials I'm using:

30 Gallon glass tank 36x12x17
    1/4" acrylic sheet 36x30
    Aquarium silicone

1st chamber 9" tall (for skimmer)
    Bubble trap section will be spaced 1" apart and 1" from the bottom

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

That will work , I prefer putting the return in the middle and splitting your overflow(s) between the skimmer area and refugium so that you can control the flow better.

1 person likes this.
  4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

That will work..Check out my sump build.. it may give ya some ideas...I think one of the most important elements would be plenty of head space for power down status..using a ready built aquarium was not an option that I could enjoy...I had to build to fit. But check it out.
    K+ ! :)
    also...as bwalker stated...fuge on one end or the other..then you can control flow..IME and opinion.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/refugium/sump-fuge-return-diy-build-thread-131595.html

5. Alohastate335i

Alohastate335i Fire Worm

Thank you both for your input! I'll revise the design to: Sump/Return/Refugium and split the inflow going to both ends (refuge having less flow of course).

Also, I'll start the build as soon as my Eheim 1262 return pump comes in tomorrow. That way I can put all the equipment in the sump and figure out where and how high the baffles will be.

And btw, very nice build on your sump refugium Lillys Grandad!

6. lillys Grandad

Just don't rush...like the old say'n...measure twice...cut once. 8)

thank you.

7. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

here is the one that I designed and built. I went through all of your Q's & A's during my process of deciding how to do this as well... this is what I settled on.

v5 of the design:
    [​IMG]

Actual:
    [​IMG]

This design is ATO storage, refugium, skimmer, bubble trap, return. I drop water into the refugium and two outlets into the skimmer area. One of those goes directly into the skimmer. The problem with putting the return in the middle is that you *may* need a second bubble trap for your refugium. I get air dropped from the return into the 'fuge and some bubbles make it into the skimmer section. But doing a linear flow design you can get away with just one bubble trap.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

Dang !! That looks sweet.. : )