DIY overflow problems

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by klaberjd, Dec 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

Has Anyone ever had a problem with DIY overflows? I have two 1 inch PVC overflows I made for my 180 gal. (It is a 350 gal system) They have been on the tank for over 5 years and have done great until recently. I have had 4 floods in a month period. I have put new air check valves and recealed each one. They both start right up and I will sit and watch them for hours and they are fine then all of a sudden they just stop randomly....days or even a week goes by with no issues and then all of a sudden they just quit and my floor is flooded. Anyone have any experience like this.....I gotta figure it out of otherwise my wife says its by by reef tank.

They are very similar to the ones in the link below. I do have drain guards/covers on mine so no snails or anything could get in and clog them.

HOB overflow

2. Click Here!

3. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

4. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

I have been looking at other articles on the web....some people suggest using an aqua lifter on the check valve to maintain siphon.....anyone use that method???

5. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

First off this doesn’t belong in asap, as it isn’t time sensitive.

Next, how often do you top off? Can you post a pic? Are you sure there are no leaks in plumbing? Your best choice would be to just invest in a real overflow, or even better yet drill the tank. But seeming as the tank is already filled that may be difficult.

6. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I would do a different route also...floods suck...I used one of these for a few years...aqua lift required for this style. : )
    CPR CS90 Overflow Box

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

These actually work pretty well

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. maxcanada

maxcanada Astrea Snail

I use aqua lifter on my cpr overflow, keeps the siphon but sucks water through the pump so i gotta have one end draining back into the the overflow box

10. klaberjd

klaberjd Fire Worm

The reason I have it in ASAP is because I am currently trying to dry about 70 gallons of water that is on my floor and trying to figure out a fix so I can start my system going again as I cant have it shutoff and risk losing thousands of dollars in fish and coral. To give you a bit more info about my tank please see the link from my original build below......it is way out dated as far as livestock and currently use an apex to run my system and have biopellet reactor and gfo reactor etc, but you get the idea. To get system running I need to get return pump back on but can't until I know I won't have yet another flood.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/350-gal-reef-build-hits-yer-two-90598.html

11. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

..I highly suggest the style suggested...beings in your case drilling is most likely a no go...I don't like that design your using at all...jmo..after flood #2..its outa there...your back in business foor about 100 bucks...for a good one..ebay stuff like that maybe in the 50 dollor range...I'd not risk it ....unless your cool with the towell action ! lol ; ) j/k

12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Floods do suck and you want to make the lady friend happy. She don't want no floods either. Spend a few bucks, get a good overflow. Get the box and an aqualifter. I have a buddy that is running one of those right now, on a fairly high end sps tank. (he was scared to drill LOL) He has had no issues with it.