DIY live rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by KOgle, Jan 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Hey gang a friend and myself are looking into making some DIY live rock to finish off the set up of his aquarium. I don't currently need any but I'm going to make some to have around. (You never know when you're going to upgrade to that 800 gallon reef)

Well in our discussion we've decided to start doing this on the side as a hobby and a way to support our reef (not reefer) habits. ;D

Would anyone on this site be interested in purchasing this rock once it's cured and cycled with live rock?

If so, what would be a fair price?

I'm just seeing what the interest level is right now. I think this could be a wonderful addition to the hobby for us while protecting mother nature at the same time.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Once decided to try and make my own DIY LR.

6-8 weeks need to cure turned me off.

Portland cement still in the way out in my garage. :p

I am afraid I would never buy DIY LR as I could never be certain of content unless I did myself, plus not knowing how well cured. :confused:

Sorry,

S

(Actually my business thought was to mix in cremated remains of loved ones into cement used for rock...then could keep them nearby in aquarium, or on favorite coral reef somewhere...8)

Kind of thought I would like to have done to me...;D )

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Those are very good points you bring up Omard. Something we'll have to keep in mind during this process. (Well maybe not the loved ones) ;D

I don't know how I could guarantee the quality/content of the rock other than just hoping people trust in my honesty. I think Otty is the only person on this board that knows me personally (don't know whether that's good or bad for him though!) :cheesy:

Our initial thought was to try and keep this as local as possible so part of the deal could be the delivery of the rock and us actually aiding in the set up of the tank. (we're assuming the most interest would be from new hobbyists wanting a cheaper way to set up a tank)

Any other ideas or comments???

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

theres a nice long thread on diy lr here already if you can find it.its many pages.

6. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

I've sold it for $1 per pound... But only stuff that was already in my tank for quite some time.

7. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Really?

It costs almost a dollar a pound to make. :cry:

8. Click Here!

9. dngspot

dngspot Spaghetti Worm

I have made live rock, here is a pic. 350lbs concrete, 45 Figi. The rock is 3 years old.
    [​IMG]

10. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Nice! How about some close ups?

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

on the top left of my photo you see a large cement rock made for a few cents last yr.on the top left beside the cement rock you see a $46 tonga shelf rock from last yr.the bottom left rock with xenia on it was tuffa from last yr.that big green zoo rock on the bottom right is cement 6 months old.i mix pure rock salt with no minerals in it to mix with my portland cement and aragonite sand so after the salt dissolves i have living things all the way through my rock in time.the tuffa rock is better but does take twice as long to get coraline on it.i now only use liverock to seed my cement and tuffa rock.why waste money.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  12. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I'm currently starting the third week of my 3 live rock pieces I made. I don't have the space, so three pieces at a time......going good so far. pH already down to 8.0. Was off the chart of my pH tester.... If this goes good and it looks good in my tank I'm going to make some more, cure it then put it in a sump to get some growth on it and sell or trade to my lfs.