diy live rock pvc stand

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by tinnghe, Mar 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

i was wondering, have anyone seen some pic of how they construct the stand for the rock? what kind of cement for the pvc should i use?

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Your normal PVC cement should be fine as far as I'm aware, if not then I'm sure someone will chip in. Usually a frame will be a U shape so that the rocks at the top will not topple over, e.g. the U shape is on it's side (hope that makes sense)!
    You then need to drill holes in your rock and then feed them into the PVC tubing and stick into place. I think it sounds more difficult than it actually is. I have seen a few pics where there has been some fantastic rock overhangs and can be very effective. I suppose the only tricky bit is planning where all the rocks will go.

Found a picture on this site of someones frame they built:
    PVC frame for Live Rock - 3reef Photos

This thread is also great, get to page 2 and you will see how he constructed his rock with lots of pics too. In fact I have never seen this method before and it's pretty cool:
    My 220 build - Vivid Aquariums Forums

Good luck and post some pics so we can see how you get on.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  4. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

if i was going to do it i wouldnt use cement as there is no water under presure flowing threw the pvc, id just use the conecters, elbows etc to slap it together

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the rock either sits on the pvc or the pvc goes through the rock. use silicone instead of cement

6. GeejEx

GeejEx Skunk Shrimp

Random thought I had- there is the normal white pvc and then there is the dark gray underground rated kind. I was planning to use gray as it would be less visible, but I believe its UG conduit, and therfore not water-quality rated. Any plumbers care to chime in? Sparky maybe?

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

you can use the grey pvc, euro reef does along with alot of other companies. the heavy duty bulkheads are the same material. its just plastic

8. Click Here!

9. tinnghe

what kind of silicone? the glass one?

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

aquarium glass silicone, you dont want to cement it if you have to take it apart later on, but the silicone will hold it good enough for a sturdy structure

11. tinnghe

does drilling the pipe to let water in and out of the pipe seem to be a good idea?

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i would with holes about 1/4-3/8" every couple inches that way the pvc structure wont be compromised and will allow the water to not become stagnet in the pipe. also allows a place for copopods to multiply