Diy led!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Toallhisdoom, Feb 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

lol don't worry about lessening the intensity, you'll have some to spare!

you want dimmable, IMO

and he's asking the height so he can recommend the proper optics! Thats up to you, i have mine about 12" above so i can work without moving them!

2. Click Here!

3. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Okay if you're getting the Typhoon controller then go with this kit: 36 Ultra Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers - Rapid LED

Get the 48P drivers with the kit, that's the one that works with the Typhoon controller.

In terms of height, ideally you'd go about 10-12" off the water and use 80 degree lenses. You can put that on two 6" x 20" or two 4.25" x 16" heatsinks, each running one fan (the fan will need a separate 12V adapter for power).

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

is this the reply from Mike?

5. Toallhisdoom

Yep thats what he said!

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

there ya go! just get the dual fan kit! I believe it comes with everything you need, just double check the power source is in there!

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

First of all, what size tank?? 48" could be 33, 55, 75, 90, 120 etc gallon (Sorry if you posted before). What do you plan to keep? If you are looking at only soft corals, you dont need to spend that much. But Id recommend to go all in because you WILL want SPSs. :D

For your reference, here is my build thread for my 90 gallon.

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

First off i love ur profile pic! I am a subie man as well!

Second i believe i already said it but, it is a 75 gallon. 48L 18W 21h I believe. And at the moment in my fluval edge i have, zoanthids, zenia, brain coral, green star polyps, dersea clam, hammer coral.

But want to be able to keep what ever i want.

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks! It's an 07 STi pretty much stock but it's fast enough and it looks like this :)

On topic, have you decided which kit to go with? I dont wanna confuse you or anything, but while youre at it, you should look into adding other color LEDs, especially UVs. Rapid didnt have the UV (420nm) LEDs when I was building my LED, I strongly recommend those because of the ripen effect on SPSs.

So here is what I recommend:
    48 ultra kit, subtract 6 cool whites 4 royal blues and add 10 UVs with LPC35-700.
    or
    36 ultra kit, add 10 UVs with LPC35-700.

Drivers: I dont know what the future plan is but when I was building mine, I wanted a reefcontroller (Apex) and it's compatible with 0~10v signal. So I chose ELN60-48D over 48P. Id still still need a module to control my LED via Apex tho. If you dont have any plan for a reefcontroller, go with 48Ps (PWM) with the Typhoon controller.

Hanging kit: I dont know if you have a canopy, but I like a cleaner look of open space. I hang my fixture from the ceiling like this:
    [​IMG]
    I didnt get the hanging kit from Rapid (or anywhere). Its all DIY with wires, S hooks and whatnot from HomeDepot.

Heatsinks: I got the non anodized 5.9x16", x2 from Rapid (this saved me shipping cost as well). This wouldve been perfect for you however I dont see the option on the Rapid site any more..? If I were to order from Rapid, Id go with two of 4.25x16". You can always order separately from Heatsinkusa.

Optic lens: My fixture is at 9~10" above the water. I used mostly 60 deg, and a few 80 deg. Im not much of a help on this..

I hope this helps!