DIY LED light fixture

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by map95003, Mar 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

I'm thinking about a new DIY project....an LED fixture for my 75G mix reef (LPS, SPS, softies, anemone). I'm somewhat handy so I figure with some good instructions and some help from you guys that have done it before, it shouldn't be too bad.

Questions for anyone that has done this before:
    1) Based on your experience, is this recommended, pros, cons?
    2) Where do I start, what type of LED where's the best place to get them?
    3) How many LEDs do I need? This would be replacing my 6x54W T5 fixture, I'm looking to maintain or improve my current lighting while decreasing energy comsumption.
    4) Is there a goood kit out there that I can buy and just put together?

Thanks,
    Martin

2. Click Here!

3. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

not this per se, but I've worked with a lot of LEDs...

1) Based on your experience, is this recommended, pros, cons?
    Depends on your level of electrical expertise. I know i could do it. I know a lot of people who would just burn themelevse and ruin a lot of expensive components. Can you solder, do you have an electronics work bench?

As for LED lighting of reef tanks, I've seen a few and they really look great and can be tuned to a color you like. Corals seem to like them.

Pro: low heat, low power, tunable spectrum, sparkly reflections, chicks dig 'em. Never need to replace bulbs (well maybe every 10-15 years)

Cons: expensive as all hell to buy, almost as much to build your own.

2) Where do I start, what type of LED where's the best place to get them?
    You start at the very beginning, it's a very good place to start.... Ok first you'll need tools: a good digital soldering iron, a rectifier power supply, an oscilloscope helps, a good digital multimeter at the very least, a magnifier lamp, small tools, etc.

Then you'll need parts. An extruded aluminum housing with a built in heatsink of some type is best. You can cobble one together.... without a heatsink you'll ruin every LED in minutes.

LEDs... I've used Cree LEDs for a while, not in a reef situation. I know there are huge debates on other forums about which LED is best. The units I have seen all use Lutron or Cree 4 packs and high intensity blue leds. The white LEDs have 4 LEDs on a single die with a lens over them, and run from 1 to 4 watts each. The bigger the better really. I know Cree makes great LEDs, never used a lutron.

The best place to get them? Look around online, deal change every day. Search for Cree high output LEDs on google.

3) How many LEDs do I need? This would be replacing my 6x54W T5 fixture, I'm looking to maintain or improve my current lighting while decreasing energy comsumption.

As many as you can afford. I'd go with at least a dozen of the little 4 packs or 25 of the single die leds. You can't have too many. For 250w you'll have a LOT of light.

4) Is there a goood kit out there that I can buy and just put together?
    not really. I know a guy who will sell you all the parts for a few bucks less than it sells for pre assembled, but why bother when you're gonna drop $500-600 on parts to not pay him $100 to put it all together?

If you do a DIY LED fixture PLEASE post pictures. I'd love to see what other people are doing. I know one guy here in town who has made a few, but they're the only ones I've seen in person.

4. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

Greysoul, thanks for the info...I'll start at the beginning, that's what I was thinking too but I just wanted to make sure :) :) ...gatto have a sense of humor.

I posted this same question on RC and someone mentioned the same thing, Cree. I'll look around online, but I'm hoping to get some responses from reefers who have done this and got 'great' results before I go down this path, if not I'll just stay with T5s and find another project.

As far as soldering skills, I took a few electrical engineering classes back in college, a few welding classes in high school and soldered up most of the plumbing at my house...no leaks so far but I'm by no means an expert so hopefully I'll be OK :) For another ~$100 I know it's not worth the time and headache to build it myself...but if I go LEDs, I want to build it myself, even if I'm only saving a few $$....just so I could say "I did it!"

thanks for the info.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I don't know about the current generation of LED's but I read that on previous generations that the corals started to degenerate after 6 to 9 months due to the spectrum not being right. If you can tune the spectrum and get the top of line it could work I would think.