DIY LED dimmer

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by element, Jan 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. element

element Fire Worm

Does anyone know if I can put a dimmer/POT between a ELN60-48 driver and Cree 3W leds? I would like to be able to dim them without opening the driver. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The ELN60-48 is a dimmable driver so you should be ab;e to do that.

4. element

element Fire Worm

I know its dimmable. All that that means is there is a POT in the driver. In order to dim the LED's you have to open the driver, hook up your meter, and dim to desired amp's. I want to leave the driver set at 750mA and put a dimmer between the driver and the LED's, this way I can't over drive the lights, but I could tone them down. Do you know if this is possable?

5. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

The ELN-60-48D or ELN-60-48P are dimmable.

There are non dimmable ELN-60-48 Drivers as well. Make sure it either has a "D" or "P"

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

7. element

element Fire Worm

I'm not talking about dimming the driver. I'm talking about dimming the output from the dimmer to the LED's via a seperate dimmer after the driver, before the LED's.

8. Click Here!

9. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

If it has a D, you don't need to open it up. Just buy a pot, and hook it to the dimmer wires. You'll need an external power source for this as well. Look online for a diagram of this, I don't have one readily available from when I built mine.

10. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Oh wait I think I see what your saying.

I don't believe that's possible, to put a pot between the driver and diodes.

The pot will adjust the voltage going to the LED's, which you want to remain constant. Usually 3.7V per diode in the case of Crees. To dim them you need to alter the current from 1A at 100% down. This is usually done with a Dimmer model of driver. It will contain a +V and -V for your additional 10V dimmer source. Adjusting the voltage on these leads will adjust the output current to the diodes and dim them. It's here where you want to place the pot. Between your 10V dimmer source - and your +V and -V leads.

11. element

element Fire Worm

Thank you. That does make sence.

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak