DIY Internal Overflow Box Help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jim522, Mar 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

I want to drill two holes in the upper center of the back wall on my 75 to drain down to the fuge and sump. I'm pretty handy but have never worked with acrylic and want to make my own internal overflow box. Something like what gl*******s.com makes. But I don't want to spend $100 on something that I could do myself and probably only requires $15 in materials. I know I want to use black arylic, I'm guessing bent with heat as opposed to glueing the four sides together would be better? I'm not concearned with making teeth, I would rather use black eggcrate to serve as a strainer to keep critters out. I'm thinking (two) 1 1/2" bulkheads with 90's pointed upwards inside the overflow box, and "T"s on the outside, one end pointing up for a vent, the other pointed down to drain would work?

Does any of this sound correct?
    Also, if any of you guys have made your own internal overflow box could you please post some pics for me???
    Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I made my own "floating" overflows. I have one on each side of the back of my tank. I think I built both for around $16. I like them as they are very small and dont take up much room in the tank like overflows that go from top to bottom. I was told my idea wouldnt work but it did and they have no problem keeping up with a mag12 return pump. I can adjust the amount of surface skimming based on the air valves that I put in the drain line. If I open the air valves all the way my overflows pull water from just below the surface but if I close them off they will skim the whole surface of my tank in about 30 seconds. I measured the total length of where the teeth are and I have 21" of skimming area. When I watch how they work I can see how much they really do skim. Here are a few pics of my DIY overflows.

Attached Files:

4. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

those are cool! is there a thread for them?

5. ibefishy

No there is not but seen as I am the "engineer" of them I can make one up if there is enough interest.

1 person likes this.
  6. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Yes please! Im very intrigued! That would be awesome of you.

here is some +K as encouragement :)

thanks,
    elizabeth

7. ibefishy

ok. I will get to work on it. Dig up the photos and do a quick write up, theyre pretty simple to make though.

8. Click Here!

9. Jim522

ibefishy,
    I agree, those are awesome! Please make a thread for them if you have the time. Those are just what I'm looking for.
    A little more +K for encouragement..:)

10. ibefishy

I had a wedding to go to this afternoon. pretty tipsy right now will get on this in the am if I dont have too bad a headache. If not in the am definetly n tyhe pm.

1 person likes this.
  11. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

Might even consider doing a video entry.?.? Might win you some cool stuff

Just to provide you with some reading interest, i too was going to use two 90's pointed upward as an overflow. But then i was pointed into a new direction. Bean-Animal. Might be worth reading this. Hope it helps :)

12. Jim522

CrazyA,
    I've looked at the BeanAnimal design but honestly seems somewhat complicating to me :confused:. Maybe it's just me. I'm really looking to do something as simple as possible. Thanks for the advise though.

ibefishy,
    That hangover has got to be gone by now lol. Where's that thread?

BTW, I've heard if you don't stop drinking, you aint gotta worry about hangovers.:beer: