DIY hommade fish food (EASIER!)

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by trelane, Feb 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Ok after some research I've determined the following: copepods eat algae, mysid shrimp eat copepods. Algae is salt water + sunlight + ammonia.

So someone explain to me why I can't feed my fish sunlight and a small amount of electricity?

get a fish bowl and fix up some salt water, add ammonia (any old ammonia will do, I'm sure you can find a way to get some)

sit it in the sun, and wait for it to turn that dreaded green color (in this case GREEN = GOOD!)

buy some copepods and put them in another tank with a heater and a bubblerock

feed the copepods green water until the tank has a slight green tinge, then less the next time once it clears.

In 3 weeks or so you should have a breeding population of copepods, time to buy your shrimp

in yet another aquarium (I'd really use a 20 here and split it in half) put live mysid shrimp (some small rock and some coral base) Feed 'em pods!

In a few weeks you'll have breeding populations of both Copepods and Mysid shrimp for the cost of initial stock, ammonia, time, effort, and sunlight!

Have I missed something here? Why aren't we all doing this?

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Because mysis are a cold water species and it would get expensive to be able to sustain them (chillers). You would have to do it on a massive scale to come close to even making it worth it

4. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

and I couldn't stick 'em in the refridgerator and short out the lightswitch?

Scratch that, I just went back and checked my reading which recommends 75-78F Water temps
    see the section on culturing mysids