DIY Homemade Fish Food!

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Ryan, Aug 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

I love DIY! So after seeing all these different recipes of homemade fish food, I decided to try it my self!

I used the following:
    -5 Raw Shirmp (shell removed)
    -Fresh Cod
    -Fresh Sockeye Salmon
    -Fresh Tuna
    -1 Pacific Mussel
    -2 Clams
    -1 Colossal Scallop
    -Several ounces of Mysis Shrimp
    -3 Sheets Nori
    -1 stalk of broccoli
    -3/4 bottle of Kent Marine Garlic Extreme

I chopped everything up into small peices, then threw it all into the blender.

I put a pinch of it into my tank to see what the fish though, they attacked it!

Im going to let it sit in the refrigerator overnight to absorb all of the Garlic Extreme, then put it flat into plastic bags and freeze. Should last me for months!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I add anything before I freeze it? Any ideas for the next batch?

I plan on feeding this 2-3 times a week. I would like to train my fish to eat dry/flake/pellets as well . Any recommendations?

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hey good job!

I do same. Tastes great on cracker with a little Tabasco. ::)

I found broccoli was waste of time with my fish. Nobody wanted to eat it unless it was only thing in tank over time...

But seriously, Inwall75 brought up and is good point...most of that seafood has been sprayed by phosphates to keep it fresh looking longer.

Next time consider giving it a good soaking overnight and a good rinsing in morning.

Sounds like good reason to me and why I aways do now.

8)

4. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Thanks Omard!

I'll do that next time!

Is there any other veggies I should put in instead? Seems like fish would need more then just meaty foods. I would think in the wild, my fish (2 clowns, 1 hippo tang, 1 Starry Blennie) would eat very little meat....why do they crave it so much in the home fish tank?

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Just Nori in food is enough I think...

They don't crave the the meat...they, like all fish, are generally opportunistic eaters...Need to make sure you are getting them enough greens, Nori, or flake. Target feed them if you have to...Many a tang has starved to death while eating a bunch of meaty foods regularly.

Enjoy!

6. ericd

ericd Astrea Snail

Someday, after my wife is talking to me again, I'll share the story of my adventure with some raw squid and my wife's new blender( trust me boys and girls, don't try this at home)

7. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

LOL!!!

The first thing my girlfriend asked when I told her I made fish food today, was "You didn't use my new Cuisinart, did you!?!?"

Of coarse, I told her I did and there was dead silence for several seconds then a unsure laugh like she wasn't sure if I as being sarcastic or not. :p

I actually used her old blinder....its now the fish food blinder!

8. Click Here!

9. fishnbirds

fishnbirds Plankton

i am trying to add multivitamins to the home made fish food... but i only find flavored multivitamins at the local medicine shops.. is it alright to use flavored multivitamins? and also what % i should add?

10. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

Just thought I would add, when I make my food I use a tray like this..
    AwesomeDrinks.com » Barware » Mini Ice Cube Trays
    I fill it with a rubber spatula spread it even and freeze over night. I put the individual cubes in baby food jars and there you go.

11. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Cool deal. I like the min cubes idea. I had no idea about the phosphate spraying. Those evil bastards.

12. abidkar

abidkar Plankton

You can add some eating unflavored Gelatin as well, so it will not spread over the water when u dump food in the tank, and fish will also enjoy it easily, it has no effect on fish.