diy glass aquarium build inqury

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Nathanial, Mar 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

I recently noticed in my local Craig's List some one down the road selling 20" x 64" Clear, New, Tempered greenhouse glass... at $10 each. My thought is 20 high and 64 long provided it is near a 1/4 inch thick. Would love to build it as a 64 x 64 square tank for Ranchu. Only needs to be filled apx half full for a happy chu. Even a typical rectangle tank or two... or four... would be fresh and freshly needed. I emailed them for the thickness as it is all for not if thinner then 1/4 inch. I know tempered is not the best idea for tanks... but at that price!?!

Drilling holes is certainly out of the question for filtration.

Anyway any thoughts? I do need a few tank upgrades asap for my black moor fry and eventually ... this year ... for Ranchu. :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

Erg... it would have to be a square tank. Can't cut tempered glass. Bracing the top would then be an issue as well. I'd have to buy 2 64 inch long 2 inch wide and 2 60 inch long by 2 wide tempered for the top bracing. Problematic already.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef.

What is a Ranchu?

Local clubs, CL, has cheap/good tanks for sale all the time!

Unless of course you just have to build something- IMHO- not worth the effort.

5. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

64x64 You could almost swim laps in that!! Not sure if it s actually a good idea to build it but it is kinda fun to think about.

6. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

I would think you would be asking for trouble....1/4 is pretty thin on a tank that length.... I wouldn't trust that in my house

7. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

Thank you for the welcome :)

Ranchu are the King of Goldfish. Japanese Top View version of China's lion head Goldfish ... and about the cutest Carp ever :)

I thought about signing up with the local Koi and Goldfish club. They are primarily in Portland Oregon I think... I m in Eugene. I'll have to check around. Main reason building one is Ranchu need shallow water and the more water the better.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  8. Click Here!

9. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

I believe length has nothing to do with thickness... only height. 20 high I think 1/4 inch is plenty regardless of length. However it would have to be set up outside and tempered glass on the back porch may be a huge issue :)

10. Nathanial

Nathanial Plankton

Lol swimming with my fish... not a bad idea. ;)