DIY Filtration on 200+ gallon aquarium (w/three sided view)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Otty, Jan 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I came across a 215 and a 265 gallon tank last night for sale.:eek: I am going to purchase one of these, but the tanks are not drilled and I want this done before I fire the system up. I have two different ways I can mount this in the family room and my dream tanks as always been a 3 sided view. I would like some opinions on where the return and overflows should be on this size of a tank and if it's better to just go one or two sided view. I will drill as many holes as nessary to have the job done right so there is no PH in the tank to distract from the display of coral. Any advice will be greatly appricated. When refering to the pic I attached use the top of the drawing as north if you are suggesting places for the holes.
    OVERFLOWS.JPG

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If you can afford it, go 3 sided and buy one of those Tunze's in the fake rock near the far end.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Never seen one, is it an OF or return. Money is not an issue if it's done the right way. I would rather spend a little more now then a lot more later.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That would be good for a dead spot but I wanted to drill the tank so that I would use return water to help flow. I could either use a CL for some of them and then use the OF to run the sump/fuge. Just trying to keep it clean. I like the way Jason McKenzie done his 370, it looks really clean.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I would do the 3 sided.
    That would also be my dream and i currently have my 75 grow out setup as a 3 sided in the basement and absolutely love the look.
    I was surprised when setting it up thinking that the far end from the wall i figured all the crap would settle but i was completely mistaken.
    The dean spot actually ended up being under the pumps on the wall side. So just adding a smaller pump to the lower part and now all is good.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Can you give me the area's that you have your tank drilled for the return lines. I know where the OF need to be but I want to make sure I put enough returns in to keep from having PH in the tank. I really want the 2 long sides and 1 short side as the display but I don't want to sacrifice water movement to do it.

11. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

I would go three sided also, you're going to need a massive pump(s) to get a good flow in there due to the size of the tank.

12. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I currently on my 75 just have 3 mj1200's on it plus the spray bar hooked to a mag drive 7.
    All mj1200s are on one of the small sides. I have them on the upper right and upper left on a 20sec on off cycle so it actually spins the water one way than the other. I then have the 3rd mj1200 also on the upper right but amed at the left wall below the other mj1200 so that it bounces off the wall and then circles the flow back going the short distance of the tank. That is on a longer on / off cycle as well.

One of my LFS had a 350 gal built with the 3 sides and they had setup 2 intakes, 2 outtakes and a massive wavemaker which did well as well. Except the wave maker would make to much noise for your family room.

Hope this gives you some more ideas.