DIY fans with computer controller help

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by mattheuw1, Sep 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

How do you have your fans setup? You have 4 of them, so do you have the 2 80s drawing cool air in from the sides, and the 2 120s blowing the hot air out the top?

2. Click Here!

3. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

[​IMG]

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Good work Matthew!

Sounds like you need to DIY an ATO now;)

5. mattheuw1

haha....thats next on the list. 1-2 gallons a day is annoying. Especially when I wake up to bubbles like clockwork every single morning!

6. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Why do you want your tank at 74 degrees? Even 79 is a tad for me :)

Also factor in winter now in your evaporation loss... It is a heck of a lot drier now than a few months ago.

7. Calli79

Calli79 Astrea Snail

I have this fan controller on my custom computer...I really like it, but I think I got a defective unit. It is being mailed back this weekend, so hopefully the next one will be more reliable.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. mattheuw1

I don't want it at 74, but the new cold air blowing across the surface of the water forced it to drop to 74. It is sitting at 80 now, with a minor adjustment to the heater. Before this DIY, I never used any kind of fans on my setup.

10. mattheuw1

This DIY project can be done so easily. I've been getting a lot of PMs from people that wanna try it.

If anyone has an old pc laying around you can use the fans and power supply and see how it works. I would recommend getting an actual power adapter that is made for a 5v molex plug (I used a hard drive adapter that came with a power adapter for a hard drive) vs using a computers power supply...but if you just want to see it work, go for it.

Potential issues with using a computers power supply....
    -They are huge and create heat, have built in fan
    -Not water proof, nor splash proof nor salty proof
    -They suck a lot of juice because they remained charged at full capacity to operate a pc, not a couple fans

I would suggest you buy the adapter instead.

Update: My fans are still working and my t5s are still cool. I am also still losing almost 2 gallons aday because I still didn't get my ato! If anyone has any questions, please post them in the thread instead of PMing me so everyone can get the answers they need here.