DIY Dimmable RapidLED Kit - Converting from MH's

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by evolved, Sep 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay Reef

Jay Reef Feather Duster

any estimate on the cost yet?

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Thank you sir. Glad to be here.

With everything accounted for, I should end up in the $800-850 range.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Same here with cost...I am doing a 59 LED setup soon, using XR-Es, dimmable drivers, 2 heatsinks, with Roayl Blue, Cool White, Red, and UV LEDs. Got it projected around $750-900 depending on hardware, and mods to make it fit my system. I have a half round...so its a little more of a pain for me.

5. Takitaj

Takitaj Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Congrats on the decision!

I just finished a 48 LED build (from RapidLed) over my 90gal using the Reefkeeper and RKM-ALC for control and I would gladly help you out.

I went with 4 of their 9x5.9 for my layout, 4 LEDs deep by 3 LEDs wide each with 2 sets per side, laid out the long way front-to-back over my 90 (48x18x24). I'm not sure you will be happy with the 6" deep (3 LEDs deep?) over 20" coverage. Since you already ordered 2 x 24x5.9 sinks you may want to consider ordering 2 more and upping the LED count to 72 or even 96. Brightness isn't the big concern, the spread is what you need to focus on the most. You can always dim it if they're too bright but you can't increase the spread beyond the number of LEDs. Just my opinion :)

Good luck, will be following too.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Thanks for that info, and that is a point I've been considering.

Here's my extremely scientific brainstorm of my LED layout (sorry for the blurry phone quick pic):

Pennies are RB's
    Quarters are CW's
    Dimes are WW's

[​IMG]

I figure I can always play with optics (with or without) and the height over the surface to get the coverage I'm after.

Are you running optics? And how far off the surface are your arrays?

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  7. Takitaj

Takitaj Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm using 60deg optics which I may change to 80. My lights are about 6" from the water to the lenses of the optics. I have a canopy and I can't get it much higher without cutting some big holes for the fans to go in. I'm still thinking about it though. I could get another 2". If you use no optics you're going to want the LEDs like 2-3" off the water to get decent PAR. Optics and the right coverage are definetly the better method.

Are you going to use the Meanwell drivers?

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yes, buying pretty much everything I need from Rapid in the DIY kit. Using Meanwell dimmable drivers (by a low tech 10V wall-wort and a pot.).

Agree with the usage of optics, and I really desire to use them, I was trying to keep the options open. I was planning on a height of about 12" off the surface (again, I can adjust this) so I still think I'll be okay.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Had an arrival today! Granted, they're not that exciting, but they're essential. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll get them ready for anodizing this weekend.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  11. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

So do LEDs last forever? e.g. ever need changing like a MH or T5 bulb.

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

If properly cooled and powered, they claim to last 50,000 hours, or 5+ years.