DIY Converting from MH to LED! RAPID LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Ryland, Jan 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I think I will swap out some of the RB for Blue. As for the NW I thought I had read they only turn the tank more yellow and aid nuissance algaes? I also am going to begin running my UV LEDs for the duration of the lighting cycle when the RB lights are on. Thanks everyone.

2. Click Here!

3. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I run UVs (398nm and 420nm, 14 total) for 9.5 hours a day on my 90. I see only positive effect of them: corals noticeably have more colors on themselves, not just the looks due to the light. Not to mention, it's one of the fastest grower.

As far as the green SPS goes, my Nobilis Acropora to be exact, is coloring up really nicely. Here is the comparison pics on my build thread. It's right under the turquoise LED. It did turn yellowish right before I added UVs, turquoise, and blue.

I look forward to the vid!

For the reference:
    UV effectiveness
    Wide spectrum LED thread (mine :))

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Okay. Ive started running the UVs during the entire duration of my RB LEDs. I am def going to add some Blue LEDs. I might just add another driver and 12 Blue LEDs and put them on a timer. I cant fit any more drivers on my controller. You added turquoise as well? First Ive heard of that. Seems to be a lot of people adding dif colors as LEDs progress.

5. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

When I was planning my rebuild, turquoise (from LEDGroupBuy) was the only decent choice I had around the 500nm spectrum. Of course right after that RapidLED started to sell the Phillips cyan. ::)

If you are thinking to add more color, you should include a few cyans in the blue string. 12 blue is a lot of blue, in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree that different LEDs are getting more spot light nowadays, which I think is a great thing!

6. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Im not sure how many blues I should add. I have 36 RB, 36 CW, 9 UV, and 4 Moon LEDs now. If I added 6 blue and 6 cyans that would give me 2 of each on each heatsink. I have 3 heatsinks total.

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

The reason behind 12 blue being a lot is blue is a lot more visible to human eyes. And green (cyan) is even more visible.

That said, here is my 2 cents.
    8 blue
    4 cyan
    on one driver. You could go either dimmable or constant. Make sure you run them at 700mA max tho, since the cyan is rated at 700mA.

or

You can swap out some of your existing RB and CW? Neutral whites?

-------------
    Heres my setup over 90 gallon
    Cool white (Cree XP) x 12
    Royal Blue (Cree XP) x 12
    Neutral White (Cree XP) x 12
    Blue (Cree XP) x 6
    420nm x 6
    398nm UV x 8
    Turquoise x 4
    Total of 60 LEDs