DIY Converting from MH to LED! RAPID LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Ryland, Jan 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

What lights did you have before you went to LED? Did you notice any negatives on the corals?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

8 54W T5's....nothing negative...besides my Anemone hit the deck and went under my rock work.....but maaaan do my SPS like it...they had more polyp extension on like day 2!..and growth has been excellent.

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Kevin did you start the LEDs out at a low ouput and then gradually raise it? Ive read you should start with a low out put over several days and then raise it slowly over the course of a few weeks.

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

That is the way you should do it with all lighting so that your coral and everything dont get photo shock.

6. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

I did it over a week....not as long as some suggest...but i didnt have any ill effects except my anenome moving...but i really need to get it out of my tank anyhow since i pretty much have gone SPS dominant....dont need an anenome wandering around killing coral in its path.

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am happy to report that my LED build is complete. I am just finalizing some videos before posting. I hope everybody is enjoying and that some help is being provided for all of you building your own LEDs.

I have a couple of questions. One thing I have noticed, I seem to have a bit of spot lighting. I see streaks of blue here and there along rock work. Thoughts on this?

The water in my tank is turbulent and thus I have a lot of surface movement. I like the look the "sparkle" gives the tank but wow....it can get overwhelming if you are too close to the tank. Anybody have similar experience?

My UV LEDs make the corals look insane! Love them. Ive noticed in the evening if I have the moonlights on with the UV's the corals explode with color. Quite impressive actually! What time of day and for how long should these UV LEDs be ran? Is there a negative to running UV LEDs with Moonlights when the main lights are off? Has anybody noticed that the UV LEDs can blur your vision a bit? Even when you are not looking at the light but into the tank? I think it must be the color spectrum but I am hoping somebody can give me a bit of info on them. Thanks guys.

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I didnt know you included UVs. If you could list all the LEDs you used, it would be really informative (and appreciated)!!

And great Youtube vid!

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Yes sorry! I need to update a few things. I made some changes along the way. I do plan to update my parts list so everything is included. Thanks for the compliments on the vids!

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Bump for anybody who might the answers? Thanks