DIY CO2 problem

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by rekoyu, Sep 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rekoyu

rekoyu Plankton

So I made a DIY co2 system for my 30g planted Betta tank. Every thing was fine till today I notice there are little particles floating. There are alot of them like dust, when I touch water they just spread open. Its like oil or some thing.
    I have only added 2cups of sugar, half teaspoon of yeast in a 1.5L CocaCola bottle, filled the water till the shoulder of the bottle. I have set 2 bubbles per sec and I'm sure the yeast did not mix with the water.
    My Betta looks okay, but I'm abit worried about them. Is this normal for a DIY co2 system?

PS: I dont have pictures, I'll post as soon as I get them.

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

it is just pulling charged particles out of the water... similar to the way a protein skimmer works.
    It is like a concentrated layer of dissolved dirt in your tank. just scoop it out and it will eventually go away

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

The same thing happened to me when I had a planted tank I would just take a cup and use it to skim the water a little bit. Ideally you could get one of those surface skimming attachments for your filter. I think eheim makes them. i never bothered getting one just surface skimmed everyone in a while.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk