diy chiller from a fast cool fridge"

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by airtruck, May 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

its heavier then oxygen, so when you inhale it fills your lungs and pushes out oxygens.

pets and kids are most at risk

2. Click Here!

3. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I agree with sostoudt. Sounds like a good idea I love DIY stuff, my whole tank is pretty much DIY. Try running your diy chiller on say a large tub of salt water for awhile. If you know the exact amount of water in the tub, you record the start temp then record the temp every 10 min. You can then see how quickly it actually cools the water, do a little math and you could calculate exactly how quickly the water will cool in your tank. plus test the water and see if anything toxic is put into the water. Maybe take the test water from your tank, cool it with your chiller then throw a damsel in there. If it lives then there are no leaks, if it dies, try something else. IMO

If those things really are expensive, why not just sell it then buy a chiller. With the money you get from that plus the money you will save on additional parts and a controler, you may have enough to buy a used chiller off craigs list. Just a thought

4. airtruck

airtruck Astrea Snail

nobody around here buys water coolers even if it does have it own cool fridge they get them free from the water bottle del companys. or buy cheap ones from walmart for 65.00$ this one was a return and seems to have all stainless steel lines , got the big tin snips it better watch out ") hope i dont need to bend any lines much ,saw a post where he had it working but the lines broke and leaked because of to many new bends

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

If this is a saltwater aquarium, you can not use the stainless steel. Even that will eventually rust and pollute the tank. That's why the commercial chillers are titanium.

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

This will still have to be plugged into some type of temperature controller with a temp probe..

7. airtruck

airtruck Astrea Snail

have a watlow temp controller w/ssr connected to relay's ,will wire that to the compressor.

WHAT no stainless uh oh will have to change my temp probes then.....

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Test it, before you add it.

11. airtruck

airtruck Astrea Snail

::) LOL i went thru all them links you posted reef_guru and they woulnt even keep my beer glass cold,, im talking about a 220 gal tank with a 50 gal sump, trying to cool it with a fast cool fridge (holdover) plate with a 5 amp compressor/condensor ,trying to work out the btu/therms but ultimately will come down to effectiveness of the exchange rate, but i suspect it will form a block of ice around the plate in short order if suspended in the sump.
    from room temp to having my finger stick frozen to the plate is a matter of minutes. the size of the condensor is almost 4' x 1' triple folded and the compressor is the size of a basketball. simmilar in size to some large fridges
    still looking at a proper chiller though because my tank has a 10 deg swing in it right now so will need more heat and better cooling , 1000 watts heat dont cut it , maybe will turn the lights on all night, and off during the day but thats no fun..

12. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

So, did you give the fast cool plate a try?