diy calcium and magnesium supplements??!!!!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by krakaslap, Dec 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. krakaslap

krakaslap Plankton

im assuming for the most part these work but my question is how well do they work? How much do you dose? Is it the same as kents and instant oceans 5ml per 50 gal or do you have to add alot more to get the same effects? Has anybody tried these?

calcium
    YouTube - D I Y Calcium

Magnesium
    YouTube - D.I.Y. Magnesium Supplement

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The stuff he uses is from bulk reef supply, which is a very commonly used supplement. I use it too.

4. krakaslap

krakaslap Plankton

how much do you dose? do you use the seemingly standard 5ml per 50 gallons? how well does it work compared to other supplements such as kents?

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I test and dose accordingly, rather than do something that may or may not be what my tank needs.

Honestly, you should get test kits for magnesium, alkalinity and calcium. Then, test your numbers, and use the calculator at bulk reef supply's website to know how much to dose.

That's what I did, until I got dosing pumps. Now it doses the right amount, and I just need to double check it every couple weeks to make sure it's still the right amount.

As for how much I actually dose, my dosing pump for alk is a 1.1 ml per minute pump, and I think it's on for 14 minutes a day (PITA to actually check, much easier to set then just adjust as necessary, adding a minute or two here or there). That would be 15.4 ml per day. The calcium is probably around 35 ml per day, and magnesium is dosed as needed, not via pump.

6. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I use the BRS cal,alk, and mag too. It works great IMO and is very resonably priced. I highly recomend it!! :)
    Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Teleca Q7; Brew 3.1.5; U; en) 240X400 LGE VX9700

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

google 'randy holmes-farley 2 part' and it explains everything about it that you could ever want to know in one nice article