DIY background & new setup

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by oside, Sep 13, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oside

oside Astrea Snail

So I finished my "practice run" background out on my 10 gal. tank. I want to make one for my 30 gal but felt I should practice on hte 10 gal first.
    The background is made from styrofoam that I cut/glued/melted with a heat gun, & painted with spraypaint. Then I coated the whole thing with epoxy resin from the local boat supply place. I also added some fine red sand for esthetics & to give the plants something to root in. The plant bulb I'm using has a red hue (to my eyes) which compliments the red sand & rust colored rocks.
    There are 6 barbs, 2 bumble bee gobies, & 3 snails for now. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.
    These pics are not the greatest - it's basically a camera phone....let me know what you think.

Before:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 hr after:
    [​IMG]

Clearing up:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left side:
    [​IMG]

right side:
    [​IMG]

Barbs Feeling "At Home":
    [​IMG]

Bumble Bee Goby checking out his new home:
    [​IMG]

My camera-shy Oscar (different tank):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Matt B

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Man you got the skillz!! [smiley=guitarist.gif]

Looks incredible so does the layout in front.

Did you base this on those links posted a while back from the cichlid forum?

Great job.

:)

4. oside

oside Astrea Snail

Thanks - & yes, I used ideas from several of the other DIY backgrounds on the cichlid forum. I originally tried coating the foam with concrete but that wasn't working well for me. Plus, the resin/epoxy method cures MUCH faster. (days vs. weeks). To be honest, the whole thing was actually very easy to make.
    I don't know if you can tell, but the shelf rock in the middle/rear area is actually part of the background & is foam also. The goby's love going under that ridge. Now I've gotta get a brine shrimp hatchery going to feed those little guys :)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow really? :eek:
    Man you should work on movie sets!
    Cool stuff.

6. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Thats a great looking background. I need to try this project when I get some time on my hands. Congrats on you success and keep us updated on how it works out.

btw, I thought BBG were a brackish water fish .?

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    Very Nice!!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

Looking good. What other kinds of plants are you looking at putting in their?

10. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

[smiley=builder2.gif]

Great job on your new construction. Looks great!!!

[smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

11. oside

oside Astrea Snail

[quote author=somethingfishy link=board=Freshwater;num=1095093792;start=0#4 date=09/13/04 at 16:55:09]Thats a great looking background.  I need to try this project when I get some time on my hands.  Congrats on you success and keep us updated on how it works out.

btw, I thought BBG were a brackish water fish .?[/quote]

Yes, I'm a little peeved at myself right now. Usually when I'm at my local FS, I only really listen to a couple of the guys working there (not this time though). I specifically asked for some ideas on what would be a good sand groomer, even said I was thinking of some flower/bamboo shrimp. The person "helping" me swore up & down that the BBG are fine in freshwater, even after I said "I thought pretty much ALL gobies are brackish...hmmm". My fault for buying a fish that I didn't research beforehand. Unfortunately, barbs are supposed to be very intolerant of brackish/salt, so I have to fish those BBG out somehow. Also turns out that the BBG are mostly live food consumers, not bottom sand feeders like I wanted :( Again, my fault for not doing the research....

Matt B

12. oside

oside Astrea Snail

[quote author=reefman_MC link=board=Freshwater;num=1095093792;start=0#6 date=09/13/04 at 18:08:16]Looking good. What other kinds of plants are you looking at putting in their?[/quote]

For now, I'm just trying to get these plants to take off. I've put in a plant bulb & I think that this substrate will be much better for the plants I have  (all the critters were pulling up the plants from the gravel before).
    I think I am probably going to need to make a co2 reactor as I am using 2 power filters on this tank - lots of surface agitation. That & I'm thinking of trying some fertilizer sticks to help suppliment the plants feeding - any recomendations?
    If I'm successful enough with these, I'd like to get a lace fern & maybe a banana plant, & maybe something that will creep on the back wall?
    Matt B