DIY aquarium fan using cell phone adapter

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by tgood, May 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I thought I'd share this because I know temperature control is a big part of keeping an aquarium. This was something I put together for my 8 gal. NUVO. It isn't difficult to make and some of you may have already done it.

Needed:
    Computer Fan (old or new)
    Wire Stripper/Crimper
    Dolphin Crimps (or any type of wire crimp)
    Power Adapter (I used a cell phone charger)

Cut the end off both the power adapter and the computer fan. Both will have a terminal on it which was used to plug into the motherboard, and the cell phone. After you cut both terminals off, strip about 1/4" of all the wires. Most computer fans will have a third wire which is for the remote and is not needed in this setup. If you are unsure which wire is the remote you can strip all three and use trial and error to determine which wires to crimp. After stripping all the wires, connect the fan wires to the power cord wires and twist them together. Then crimp the dolphins on and plug it in. It should turn on and help keep your tank cool. In larger tanks you can "daisy-chain" the fans together if you need more.

If you have a soldering iron and heat-shrink you can solder the wires together and then use the heat-shrink to protect it. This way looks cleaner and is a much stronger hold, but dolphins work fine too. The pic is just the crimps and fan, I hope this helps some people with temperature issues in their tanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

Great idea, I may have missed this, but where would you put it on the Nuvo 8. Top of the lid?

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You either live in a very warm climate, or are using MH's for light maybe?

Nice DIY post BTW

5. Vizzle1717

If I'm not mistaken, he is using the stock 4w Skkye light, and that baby doesn't give off really any heat

6. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Upgraded the stock pump to a Maxi-Jet 600 and I think it's giving off the heat. If I don't have the fan on it will go up to 82° or more if I'd let it. I have an Apex on the way which will control the fan based on the temp. I am using the stock 8W LED light that comes with the NUVO. I have a PAR38 CREE LED bulb that I will be adding once I'm able to get some SPS.

7. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I put the screws in the mount and it sits perfectly on the back right over the overflow compartment.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Vizzle1717

Sweet. This will be a great desktop nano

10. MatroxD

MatroxD Plankton

Cool idea for canopy cooling also. I was looking at some of the echo fans just to blow aire thougthrough my canopy even though it doesn't get hot, but this would be a simple screw in the back and no routing needed. Excellent idea!

Kudos!

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

To make these even better, try a variable voltage power supply to vary the fan speed. In winter months you don't need as much cooling so slowing the fan down reduces evaporation and cooling plus is dead silent. I have used these for over a decade in the canopies of my 90 and 100G fully enclosed tanks and was able to sell my 1/4 HP chiller once the two 120mm fans were placed correctly and running at the right seppd.
    Amazon.com: Adorama 1.5 volt - 12 volt DC, 500mA Regulated Universal AC Converter with Multiple Connector Ends.: Camera & Photo

I was running at 10.5 or 12v in summer and 7.5 or 9v in winter using the same Vantec Stealth 120mm fans and was very impressed. You should be able to find variable voltage power supplies like I linked to at Wal Mart in the electronics dept. or any computer or electronics type store like Fry's or Radio Shack.

1 person likes this.