Diy algae scrubber in sump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by needmorecowbell, Apr 25, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

I'm looking into making an alagae scrubber for my 20long sump.. Is it possible? I searched the Internet but I cant find much information that would apply to me. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks :D

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

4. Newreef15

5. needmorecowbell

Thanks! I knew about the site but it wasn't helping me much, I'll look deeper into it though. The bucket method seems like what I would do but I'm going to need a pretty small bucket, it's only a 30 gallon tank and the stand is already small as it is.

6. Newreef15

If size is a issue I would use a rubber maid container.

let me know how it goes i have a small one on my tank and there fun :)

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

I have a DIY algae scrubber on my 20G L so yes it can be done. I built an acrylic box with an open top and an open bottom. The box is about 8X6" and 3 " thick to allow for 3D growth. I also fixed 2 acrylic pieces to rest on the rim of the sump. The sides of the box were cut out at the top to allow the PVC pipe to sit evenly across the box. I have the pump sitting in the sump and vinyl tubing with a ball valve on it leading to a 90 degree elbow on the pipe. To hold the screen in the slot, I used a larger pvc pipe, cut out little rings to slide over the smaller pipe with a gap so i can slide the screen in and then turn the ring to keep it in place. Lighting was a little tight under my stand, so I used 2 silver dome shop lights from lowes but I had to cut a hole in the side of the dome reflector so the lights could hang vertically rather than horizontally. I'm using 23w cfl's for bulbs. If you want to make the acrylic splash box, you will need acrylic sheets from lowes hardware, but you will most likely have to order IPS Weld-on #3 just like Melev uses to make his sumps. As well as an applicator bottle. I got the solvent and an aplicator on ebay for not too much. Melevsreef.com | Tools I Use

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you out. Let me know if you want more info or more details.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. needmorecowbell

Thanks a lot both of you, it helps a lot. Could the splash box be replaced with some sort of rubbermaid container? I dont see the reason in making something that complex other than it just being super fun lol. I will be having to buy a pump also.. Should it be a really small pump? Also, if it is an open bottom, wouldn't algae fall into the tank?

10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Algae will not fall into the sump, it sticks to the screen. Trust me, its hard to scrape off even with a paint scraper. I have an open bottom just below the water level so the water can escape but not splash into the sump. The screen is also submerged at the last 1/2" or so to keep water from splashing as well. As for the pump, first determine what size screen you will need from how much you feed, then based off of the screen size determine the flow required "this info will be on the algae scrubber website" Make sure you use santa monica's newest guidelines. The screen size is now done by feeding regime rater than tank gallons. Then take into account the pump will lose efficiency after about 6 months. So I would buy a pump more than what you think it will needs especially after the 90 degree elbow. That is why I have a ball valve, im only running at half power right now. I tune the valve as open as I can without getting alot of splash noise.

As for the rubbermaid container, you could just get a skinny but high container, drill some holes all over the base of the container where it sits under the water level so the water can flow freely into and out of the container. Then just cut a groove in the sides at the top to lay your pipe across. The pump can sit on the outside of the rubbermaid with a 90 degree elbow just as I have. Your box will be sitting directly on the sump bottom instead of on the rim like mine is. You will then need to cut out a window in the side of the container to allow for light to pass, and patch the window with clear acrylic or even saran wrap if you wish to go cheap. If you cant find a rubbermaid skinny and tall enough, you can buy one tall enough, and then make it skinny by sawing out the middle and zip tie'ing the two halfs back together to make it the thickness you require.

11. needmorecowbell

Thank god I'm a pack rat, i have a ton of acrylic from my computer build. I Also have all the vinyl tubing and PVC that I'll need. I'll go to the website and check out what size I'll need.