DIY Aiptasia Killer using Electrolysis

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by dustin0479, Feb 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dustin0479

dustin0479 Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, I threw this together the other night and due to a bunch of request I am going to put together a DIY thread on an improved model. My first build is much like all the others you see, it has one HUGE flaw! Because the graphite is mounted to the rod you need to have it under the water about 5" in order to operate. For Pests near the top of the tank you find yourself twisting and contorting to make it work.

Tonight I will be putting together an improved version that will allow you to use it in 1" of water!

Here is the image of my original. Improved to come later this evening.....
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. dustin0479

Keep in mind not all materials are required. I am also not responsible for any misinformation, damage, injury, accidents. This thread is to simply show how I assembled my Aiptasia killer.

That being said...
    Step 1
    Gather your materials.
    Handle- 3/8" pipe (i used pex piping)
    Reducer Tip- 1/4" pipe (again i used pex becuase of it's flexability)
    Pointer- Stainless Steel Wire (Hardware Store)
    Momentary Switch or Toggle for power- I HIGHLY suggest getting the kind that is spring loaded and requires constant pressure in case you have an accident.
    Power Adapter- random power adapter roughly 12v 500mA
    Graphite Conductor- Carpenters Pencil
    Graphite Holder- Spring out of a large pen (i pulled mine out of a cigarette lighter cell charger)
    Soldering Gun
    Voltage Meter (unless you know which output on your power adapter is positive)
    Hot Glue Gun
    Heat Gun
    Shrink Tape
    8’ +/- of 18ga wire

1. Cut the 3/8" Pipe to your desired length. Mine was 20"
    2. Using a 3/8" drill bit drill one end of the pipe so that your 1/4" Pex will insert into the 3/8" tightly.
    3. Cut your 1/4" pipe (the tip of your holder) to desired length. Mine was 5"
    4. Insert the 1/4" Pex into the hole previously drilled in the 3/8".
    [​IMG]

5. Next cut a piece of your 1/4" pipe approximately 7".
    6. Using a 1/4" drill bit drill about 1.5" into the end of your 1/4" pex pipe. Mark this end.
    [​IMG]

7. Next take your carpenters pencil and cut a deep line down both faces. Then split it down the center lengh direction and remove the graphite.
    [​IMG]

8. Adjust your spring so that the graphite snugly fits inside the spring. Note I already placed a lead on my spring to make things easier later.

[​IMG]

9. Next it is time to bend your rod and graphite holder. I put about a 25 degree bend in my ¼” tip for the rod.
    The 7” piece of ¼” pex I ran about a 4’ piece of wire through first then I heated up and bent into a U shape like shown below. Once you get the desired shape quickly dip in cold water.
    [​IMG]

10. Next attach the wire from your U pipe to the spring with solder. Then insert the spring/graphite into the large hole in your U pipe

11. Next cut your Stainless Steel wire to about 6” longer than your handle with the tip inserted. I have noticed that some of the commercial versions used a copper wire inside the rod soldered to a needle. I am wary of putting anything with copper in my tank so I have chosen to run the length of Stainless Wire to the end of my handle. Solder another 4’ piece of wire (18ga) to the length of Stainless Wire you previously cut. Insert that wire into your holder.
    [​IMG]

12. Once you have made the connections fill all ends of pipe with the hot glue gun. You may also want to glue the ¼” to the 3/8” holder using Gel superglue.
    [​IMG]

13. Take another 3/8” Piece of tube and drill a bunch of 1/8” holes for about 1”. Then bore it out to 3/8”. Next cut it to about 1.5” in length and slide over your graphite to protect it from breaking.
    [​IMG]

14.Optional** I now put some shrink tape over the ends of both tubes where the wires go in and heated them up. Just for looks!

15. Next you will need to find something to hold your switch. I used an old ball pump but you can use a 1” piece of PVC with end caps. Drill a hole in one end so that your toggle can mount to that cap. Drill a hole in the other end for your wires to go through.
    16. Take the wire from your handle rod and connect it to one of the Toggle Switch Connections. Take the positive from the transformer and connect it to the other end of the toggle switch.
    [​IMG]

17. Take the wire coming out of the U pipe and connect it to the Negative of the transformer inside of the switch handle.

18. Close up the handle and you are ready to KILL S&%$!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  4. dustin0479

Sorry about the crappy images, I was using my Iphone. If anyone has any questions please ask. This project should take you about 40 minutes.

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

This is awesome! Nice write up.

6. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

lol its like a make shift cattle prod. great job, i dont get how the electricity doesn't run through the water and hurt other things?

7. dustin0479

The power source is such a small amount it does not have the power to conduct through the tank. This is almost the same thing if you were to throw a 9volt battery in your salt water tank. The only difference is you are isolating the Hydrogen and Chlorine to the 2 conductors.

On a side note
    It is VERY important you seal the hole the spring/graphite is in very good. If water comes in contact with the second contact (spring) you will leach iron (not enough to kill anything but still...) you will notice this by the yellow "plumes" coming off your hanging graphite conductor.

8. Click Here!

9. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Very interesting. An underwater cattle prod.. What's the voltage of this little gem & do you have pics or video of it in action.

10. dustin0479

The last 2 images show it in action. You can see the Hydrogen Bubbles coming off it. This is not my idea, just a DIY from a product already being sold.

I suggest 12v DC at 500mA which equates to 6watts. I built mine at 9v DC 1000mA which equates to 9watts. The 12v version will do a better job because of the resistance of salt water.

11. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Cool thanks for sharing.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

awesome! thanks so much for putting this up!