DIY Acrylic Cement

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by cuttingras, Apr 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

4. cuttingras

you think nail polish remover (which is acetone based) would work or maybe have too much extra junk in it?

p.s. thanks geek!

5. cuttingras

ok, so, I bought the acetone the other day and broke up a bunch of pieces of acrylic and THIS WORKS!!!!!!! I have put the sides together to my sump and then the top piece. I've got to wait for that to harden and then I'll put the other side then the bottom. Here's the proof in the pudding........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

thats soo awsome, i wanna do something like that one day

7. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Good find for small diys. But for larger things I would be a bit scared.

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:eek:

Ditto

Even the simplest DYI's are usually beyond my limited capabilities...this is the last thing I would trust self doing on own...:-[

10. cuttingras

why is that IBM? It makes total sense to me. The acetone is still in the mixture and when applied to the two sides that I'm joining together, it melts a little of those sides and bonds them together.... I'm really happy with the outcome...can't wait to see if it holds water :lol: I found also that when I'm cutting the acrylic, that if I heat it with a torch then score with a knife it makes a real nice edge.

it's shake and bake and I helped;D

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Linda I have worked with Acrylic for many yrs and I'd never trust that for a sump for what ever thats worth .. if you even use the proper sealants there is a method to the madness of building a acrylic tank or sump's I admire the wanting to give it a shot and what you have looks good But that acetone liquid you have is good for wicking into a area with bubbles but has a very limited holding /fusing strength.. Its more then glue as many think It a chemicals reactions that occurs with the material bing joined and the welding chemicals that cause the reaction to bond the pieces together long term ..I'd hate to see you get flooded Again for what ever its wroth ? Good luck with it

look here for 2.50 get something that will hold long term..

IPS Weld-On Plexiglass Glues & Plastic Adhesives

Attached Files:

12. cuttingras

ya know...I've been to every hardware store within a 50 mile radius of here and no one sells that weld-on stuff. Thanks for the link.. I will apply it to what I've already done or do I need to cut this apart and redo it? Thanks Tang!!