DIY 50 gal Sump - Need advice

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Drosselli, Mar 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Drosselli

Drosselli Plankton

Hi Guys!

I am new to this forum. Just purchased an empty used 50 gal sump. This is my first sump and I'm learning a lot. previously, I've used canister filters.

This is my sump design. Can anyone give advice on what would be the best sump design for a sump tank with these dimensions? There are multiple chambers so not sure which one would be best for what!.. lol

FYI.. It will be for a new 135 Gal marine tank not yet set up. I am planning on having corals and fish.

Check out the attached photo! Let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

4. Drosselli

Drosselli Plankton

live rock

We have spoken to some people that use live rock to add another level of filtering to their tanks. Thanks for the link - reviewing it now.

5. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Id say ditch the live rock area and sponge area make that all the return area. Maybe move the fuge all the way to the right and put the return in the middle and split the overflow from the tank to feed the slimmer and fuge seperately. That's what I would do at least. Having a return area that small will be a pain if you don't have an ato and even f you do if it fails you could still screw yourself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

6. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Well live rock is certainly part of the recipe for a successful reef tank... lots of it too. But most put it in the display tank. There it filters the water, provides habitat for fauna, and a base for coral. In the sump it tends to trap ditritus in the high flow area. Not sure if it's denitrifying capabilities are lowered being in a highly oxygenated place or if it all equals out.

If you want a minimalist display tank with sparse live rock... then you would need a tub of it somewhere to provide enough bio filtration. But there is no need for a compartment of it in a sump just cause. A Regular reef tank will have anywhere from 1-2 lbs. of LR/ per gallon. 2 being a lot with not much room left. 1 is still plenty.

7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Here is a good thread with some more efficient design specs that can easily be scaled up to a 50 breeder from the 40 breeder used as the examples.
    Help Building Sump

8. Click Here!

9. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

that skimmer is way to small for a 50 gallon refugium, given that your using a 50 gallon sump for a larger display tank.

most modern sumps are divided into 3 chambers, one for return water, one for the protein skimmer and one for the refugium. how you choose to implement the stages of the water path through the sump greatly influences the sumps ability to perform to it's design- as a water filter. the UV usually ties into the return pump (water back into the tank) but this depends how much sterilization you wish to perform.

most are as follows:

water from tank (usually also the skimmer area) - chamber one
    refugim area- chamber two
    return pump- chamber three

I set mine up a bit differently because I use a DSB/macro algae refugium, chamber one is my refugium and my water from tank area, then chamber two is my skimmer area, and chamber three is my return pump area. I use a water fall effect from high to low, this is also how I use my auto top off- when water drops in the return pump section (the lowest of the three chambers) water is then added to the refugim. very simple and very effective- least for my set up.