DIY 20g Long Sump Design Question

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Astrick117, Jul 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

I am going to build my own 20g long sump since I can't find one to buy on CL. Any changes you would make to my proposed design (picture attached)?

It's for a 75 gallon DT and I plan to split my down feed, so that I can control the flow to the refugium portion.

I've never built a sump before, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

• Sump.jpg
      Sump.jpg
      File size:
      27.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

It looks good to me.

4. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

Looks good. Good luck with the build.

5. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Do you have your skimmer picked out yet?

I would wait till you buy your skimmer before you build the sump for 2 reasons:

1. you can make your skimmer section the perfect size for that skimmer, instead of making it too big (wasted space) or too small (start over again).

2. Find out at what water level your skimmer performs best at then you can set the level of that chamber with the first baffel. So if it performs best at 8in. your first baffel will be 8in. tall.

6. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

Yes I do- its a EuroReef RS135. It has a 10" x 11" footprint and performs best at 6.5" of water. I plan to put a stand underneath it as I would like my sump to hold a greater amount of water (hence the 9" first baffle).

Thanks for the watchout though! I'm sure there are a lot of people that make that mistake.

7. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Good. Than I think the sump design looks good. I tend to side on the side of caution and like less water in the sump for more flood protection.

8. Click Here!

9. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Very Easy to do what you want. Get some 3/32" glass at Home Depot or lowes and a $6 glass cutter. Cut it to size and silicone it in. I made a sump myself out of a 20 long. Check out my thread or my photos(link in signature). Like I said, it's very easy. Just make sure you get the right kind of silicone.

10. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

I think the return section is too small. You will notice the evaporation of the tank expressed here. With only 7", you may be filling the return area alot. You don't want the return pump drawing air.

11. JHiestand

JHiestand Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1 on the return section, I would make as large as possible. If you look at my bowfront build it has a picture of the sump im using, it is a 20 long also, and I have to top off about a gallon everyday to everyother day. I also don't have any sort of top on my tank.

[​IMG]

Can't remember what the size of the return was but it is the chamber furthest to the left, I think it is 6" but not totally sure. If I would have known I probably would have added at least 3-4" to return and made the baffles taller. Just my 2 cents but your design looks good.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

3/32"? Why so small? I would suggest at least 3/16", probably 1/4" glass.