DIY  SUMPS!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Black_Raven, Feb 17, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I really like that second setup there. So Simple. Why did I not think of that? ;D

I would pass on the salt bucket with the bioballs if you will be having 1 to 2 pounds of LR per gallon of water plus the sandbed in the fuge, you won't need the bioballs.

Did I say I like that second one? ::)

4. Black_Raven

I was thinking I would use the bucket for filter floss and chemical media. Those 2 sumps are an interesting design. I wonder how well the bulk heads seal against the plastic tubs. Think they are prone to leaks?

5. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I wonder what is the effect of salt water on those rubber maid containers? I guess if the container is only half full its no big deal, but what about if its fill most of the way.

Sean

6. Black_Raven

many people use those containers without problems. A couple of guys at one of the local fish stores use them and swear by them.

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Everyone seems to use them. One way to assure safety is to find the PVC rating on the container. I can't remember how they rate them, but I believe 'food safe' is good.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Oh.. blade runner we were typing at the same time. Do you remember all the ratings? What does 2 stand for? EDIT - AHHH.. YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT THE LINKs. ::)

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Re: DIY  SUMPS!

Im planing to make a switch for a 120 pretty soon. I really like the #2 also and that was my idea of setting up my fuge/sump. i have a 20gl (for the sump) and a 25gl (for the fuge).. The only thing i was missing is how to connect them together. Now i guess i found it... But do any of you think about this setup overflowing easily or see something in the design that would make it overflow if something stopped working i.e pump, overflow, etc...

Thanks

Marc.

12. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I've used a couple of pvc fittings on a plastic garbage can with rubber gaskets for my RO's waste dump (use the water for plants outside and cleaning things) and it doesn't leak so I don't think the bulkheads would leak!!

Drew