Dismembered Sandsifter Starfish

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Lilou, Sep 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lilou

Lilou Astrea Snail

Since the picture was taken he is missing 2 more arms. What is going on???:cry:

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

somethings eating him or he caught it under rock since hes missing more arms i vote for predator. just make sure hes getting enought to eat so he can heal. if your tank is under 100 gallons you need to supplement its diet.

4. Stevet86

Stevet86 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What would be eating him? I had a similar incident and ended up losing the star fish. I just did find a large fire worm, could that have been it?

5. Lilou

Lilou Astrea Snail

What does he eat and how does one feed him? I was told I didn't need anything extra for him at the store... but what do I know... I've only been at for a couple of years. I feed the other swimming fish brine shrimp and phytoplankton once in a while for the soft corals. I only have a nano reef (10 gallons).

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you should attempt to bury some food in the sand, since its only 10 gallons he shouldn't have trouble finding it. FYI in a tank that small it will die with out feeding,no if and or buts. also having him go on the glass is a sign it has exhausted all the food in the sand.

steve it is possible some will eat starfish

1 person likes this.
  7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yes it will. I have a medium sized one in my 75g and I keep an eye on it's health whenever it pops up out of the sand to say Hi.

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I used to feed mine krill every once in a while. Honestly...I would take him back in..way too small of a tank.

My sandsifter actually came out one day and started hitting the glass...started to get worried...then next thing I know he was on top of sand with his legs on ground and body arched up like a bridge. Asked the guys at the LFS what that was and he was basically starving...he was then fishing....he was hoping that a fish would swim under him and then he would clamp down and eat it! That was in a 75g tank....

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it's not lack of food that's causing your starfish to lose its limbs, it's bad water.

11. Lilou

Lilou Astrea Snail

I've had him for two years and hasn't shown signs of distress until now. Based on all the feedback it doesn't sound like a feeding problem. But I'll put some food under him this evening just in case. I have another post regarding an algae/bacteria and my starfish problem is most likely a water problem. I need to increase flow and oxygen apparently. I have more corals than I use too so I wonder the needs in there have changed.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How big is your tank? Those things need big established sandbeds or they do what yours is doing.